Fwd: [eBird Alert] Jackson County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

Jeffrey Tufts

Jan 21, 2023, 12:59:24 AM1/21/23
to Rv Birds

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <ebird...@birds.cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 7:07 PM
Subject: [eBird Alert] Jackson County Rare Bird Alert <daily>
To: <jctu...@gmail.com>

*** Species Summary:

- Lawrence's Goldfinch (3 reports)
- Swamp Sparrow (2 reports)

Lawrence's Goldfinch (Spinus lawrencei) (1)
- Reported Jan 20, 2023 13:57 by Amanda Alford
- Lawrence’s stakeout, Jackson, Oregon
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.307807,-122.834751&ll=42.307807,-122.834751
- Comments: "Continuing. First seen from the road in backyard tree in nextdoor neighbor’s property in mixed flock with lesser and American goldfinches, then later at feeders."

Lawrence's Goldfinch (Spinus lawrencei) (1)
- Reported Jan 20, 2023 13:41 by Janet Kelly
- Mira Mar Ave, Jackson, Oregon
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.307399,-122.834901&ll=42.307399,-122.834901
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing … flew in to the feeders, stayed for 30 seconds… photos"

Lawrence's Goldfinch (Spinus lawrencei) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 19, 2023 12:18 by Elijah Hayes
- Mira Mar Ave LAGO stakeout, Jackson, Oregon
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.307975,-122.834981&ll=42.307975,-122.834981
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Arrived around noon after hearing that the bird hadn’t been seen all day despite multiple observers having been present. I arrived to a small crowd waiting around the feeders. For a while there was no sign of the bird, and some began to wonder if it had moved on or was frequenting another location, but as the groups of LEGO mobbed the feeders it suddenly appeared, landing on top of one of the feeders and digging in. We all enjoyed great views of the bird as it moved between feeders and up into the surrounding trees for about 5-10 minutes before it flew away with a group of LEGO. Black face, gray head, yellowish breast and wings. White belly and undertail coverts, white ovalish patch under the tail, grayish above. Got photos! Lifer for me and a great chase, think this is the first rarity I’ve chased outside of Klamath County. Oregon bird #280!"

Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) (1)
- Reported Jan 20, 2023 10:27 by Max McClarnon
- Givan Ranch Park, Jackson, Oregon
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.4782586,-122.8516603&ll=42.4782586,-122.8516603
- Comments: "Continuing"

Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jan 19, 2023 14:03 by Elijah Hayes
- Givan Ranch Park, Jackson, Oregon
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.4782586,-122.8516603&ll=42.4782586,-122.8516603
- Media: 2 Audio
- Comments: "Today was my lucky day, I came to Jackson County with two targets - the Lawrence’s Goldfinch and the Swamp Sparrow. The LAGO showed up shortly after I arrived after not making an appearance all morning, and then when I arrived at the location where the Swamp Sparrow was reported expecting to have to wait for a while, I was almost immediately greeted by metallic chink calls as it popped out of the low flooded grass and flew to a perch where I was able to get a decent view of the unstreaked breast, thick reddish cap and brighter rufousy coloration than the nearby Song Sparrows. Attempted to get photos but it stayed far out of my camera range. Popped up a few more times and was calling very frequently, I was able to get some recordings. Closest to a Black Phoebe, but less of a sweet note. Nice to finally see this species after trying to find one of my own unsuccessfully for a few years in Klamath County. Lifer and 281st Oregon bird!"

This conversation is locked