RBA: Rusty Blackbird at Emigrant Lake this morning

frank lospalluto

Sep 19, 2022, 4:00:28 PM9/19/22
to Rogue Valley Birds
Hey Folks,
I was out at Emigrant with Violet this morning enjoying some good migrant movement. Spotted a blackbird on a rock near where the road that passes down from Green Springs Spur parking crosses over to the old quarry / cemetery area.
As I approached I thought that's a weird Brewer's but it's not a grackle so snapped some photos and headed off to at the pipits and peeps that were near the creek  canyon (as it were). When I got home and downloaded the photos I realized and sent to Alex to confirm my suspicions.
photos in checklist :

good birding,
frank

frank lospalluto

Sep 19, 2022, 10:01:04 PM9/19/22
to Rogue Valley Birds
Hey all,
I am back to retract my observation of a Rusty Blackbird. It was pointed out by OSU professor of ornithology Doug Robinson that if one looks at Sibley's illustration for Rusty Blackbird we should see some rufous or rusty edging . And I do not so I pulled that observation from ebird. Just a bit of a strange looking Brewer's Blackbird....
My apologies. I was wrong. Hopefully I learned something.
 good birding,
frank