Surprise feeder visitor in Ashland

Pepper Trail

May 8, 2021, 12:51:39 AMMay 8
to Rogue Valley Birds
I did a double-take at a big red finch at the feeder today - it was a Cassin's Finch!  First I've ever had in my yard in Ashland.  Seems very late for them to be at such a low elevation.  I was able to get a couple of photos through the window glass before it took off.
IMG_1033.jpg
IMG_1039.jpg

weaver...@gmail.com

May 15, 2021, 2:40:48 PMMay 15
to Rogue Valley Birds
Hi Pepper, I think I get Cassin's at my feeders occasionally, along with the Purple finches (never any House Finches).  I live at around 3200 feet in mixed conifer/Madrone forest just south of Jacksonville.  I have a tough time with male Cassin's vs. male Purple finches - - never sure about how much "pinky-red" is on a Cassin's back and breast. I know their heads are quite a bright red, and that they often show a fake "crest" on the top of their head. Generally try to look at the beak size to identify Cassin's. - - Susan Stone