January Raptor Run

anneg...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2021, 7:47:45 PM1/17/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
Began the day in fog and ended the day with clouds, but still had some nice finds. Squinting through the fog and scoping,  I could barely make out the Peregrine Falcon on Campbell Road, but he was there in his usual haunt, the radio tower. The Golden Eagles were on their reliable snag near Reese Creek and Ball Road. Found two Ferruginous Hawks, one at the usual location on Old Sam's Valley Highway, but another one hanging out near Kriselle Winery on Modoc Road. And I was cheered to find a Rough Legged Hawk on Foothill Road between Delta Waters and Dodson. I've never seen one there before.

And of course, I can't help but look for other birds. It was nice to see a Say's Phoebe and a Lincoln's Sparrow on Campbell Road - my first for 2021...so that was fun.

11 species altogether. Missed Prairie Falcon and Sharp-shinned Hawk.

Totals:
Bald Eagle - 1
Golden Eagle - 2
Red-tailed Hawk - 56