Re: [obol] Where do our western Purple Martins migrsate to?

Daniel Farrar

Sep 19, 2023, 8:01:16 PMSep 19
to ato...@gmail.com, OBOL, BOO List, Yamhillbirds, Rogue Valley Birds, atb...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
      This is a project I have been lucky enough to work on in the last several years. Just wanted to clarify that the tags are GPS data loggers and are not MOTUS tags. They work differently and provide more detailed routes like what you see in the video. Great work by Sarah and her team at KBO!!!

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023, 4:55 PM Harry Fuller <ato...@gmail.com> wrote:
KBO has this brilliant bit of new Motus data:

https://klamathbird.org/callnote/kbo-tracks-the-first-western-purple-martin-with-gps-tag-technology/

--
Harry Fuller
author of: San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:

Harry Fuller

Sep 19, 2023, 8:37:04 PMSep 19
to OBOL, BOO List, Yamhillbirds, Rogue Valley Birds, atb...@googlegroups.com

Daniel Farrar

Sep 19, 2023, 9:40:52 PMSep 19
to snowy....@gmail.com, dpc...@willamette.edu, Harry Fuller, OBOL, BOO List, Yamhillbirds, Rogue Valley Birds, atb...@googlegroups.com
Batteries died. That's one of the big challenges with the technology being this small (and a key difference from MOTUS tags). You can program them in a variety of ways but you essentially have a fixed number of points that you can take.  So the more detail you want the shorter the life of the tag in terms of days it is recording. I anticipate more info will be coming in due time. Not sure if they are looking at spring migration yet but they may be.

Best,
Daniel Farrar

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023, 6:31 PM Mark Miller <snowy....@gmail.com> wrote:
All,

Did the data logger not record the trip north? That would be just as interesting, I would think. Just a thought: have the logger turn on around February and see what you get.

Mark Miller
Beaverton, OR

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 6:24 PM David Craig <dpc...@willamette.edu> wrote:
Very interesting!   I have such a gnarly teaching load this semester with our unexpected (but welcome) big freshman class.  I appreciate your notes and look forward to Spring when I can get back to my own momentum on MOTUS research!
--
900 State Street SE, Salem, OR 97301
Office Hours by appointment

Administrative Program Coordinator:Mary Martin (mema...@willamette.edu or 503-370-6013