Lewis's on the move, and other notable birds

Pepper Trail

Sep 7, 2021, 11:15:50 AMSep 7
to Rogue Valley Birds
I hiked around the former Box O property along Jenny Creek in the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument yesterday (9/6/21).  The highlight was flocks of Lewis's Woodpeckers flying over and gathering around the creek to flycatch on emerging insects.  I made a very conservative estimate of at least 50.  Many were the sooty-plumaged juveniles.  Other highlights included a Northern Pygmy-Owl perched in a snag, giving great views; a Golden Eagle; four Mountain Quail (seen, not just heard); and 3 otters in the creek.  The infuriating low point was a herd of 11 cattle that have made it through the fence and are creating much damage to the riparian zone.  I have notified BLM, but the only consequence for the owners of the cattle is likely that they will be told to come and get their trespassing cows.

On the drive up, I was surprised to see a White Pelican on the shore of the little Keene Reservoir.  This seems nearly full, in sharp contrast to Hyatt and Howard Prairie Reservoirs, so it was probably the most water the pelican could find.

Pepper