Fearless Bird

rdm

Dec 21, 2020, 9:48:21 PM12/21/20
to Rogue Valley Birds

            A couple of weeks ago I took the wire cage off the tube bird feeder after the squirrels went into hibernation. The rock pigeons now cannot get to the bird seed; before they clung to the wire, wildly flapping their wings and ate the seed on the bottom tray. Three days ago, a trio of European Starlings discovered the feeder, stood on the tray and filled themselves with seed. Today eight starlings came—too many. After they left, I took the cage back to cover the feeder. A pine siskin was perched on the top opening eating cracked seed. She didn’t move when I approached and stood close by. I reached out and gently touched her, she continued eating; taking a seed and chewing it while watching me. I stepped back to wait for her to finish; she didn’t and a Lesser Goldfinch landed on another perch. I waited a little then approached again; the goldfinch left; the Pine Siskin continued eating. I walked up and gave her a gentle push on her chest with my forefinger—she gave me a gentle peck on the finger. Losing patience, I took the feeder off the hook and placed it on the ground; the siskin hopped down onto the tray. Only when the cage descended toward her did she run off under the rosemary bush.

Pine-Siskins-&-Lesser-Goldfinches.jpg

John Bullock

Dec 22, 2020, 7:39:16 PM12/22/20
to Rogue Valley Birds
We've had a similar situation at our  tube feeder. A single Pine Siskin has spent most of the day for several days, sitting quietly on the feeder's ring perch, nibbling and just chilling out. We've approached the feeder with the same lack of reaction, although we haven't attempted physical contact. We know that this is "the year of the Siskins" but we find this solo behavior unusual, as we normally see this species feeding in flocks.

John and Stephanie Bullock

Jeffrey Tufts

Dec 22, 2020, 9:44:55 PM12/22/20
to Rogue Valley Birds
Lot of Siskins around, and unfortunately that can mean a lot of "sick" Siskins (Salmonella)