White-fronted Geese, 9/19

Vince Zauskey

Sep 19, 2021, 9:26:39 PM9/19/21
to rv-b...@googlegroups.com
While walking at Emigrant Lake earlier today at 11:35AM (in FRESH AIR I might add), I heard them first and then looked up to see about 60 Greater White-fronted Geese flyover on their journey south.

Not sure where these birds will find water but we'll hope for the best.

kate Mckenzie

Sep 19, 2021, 9:54:39 PM9/19/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
I went to Shasta Valley WLA this afternoon and heard a flock fly over at around 1.  And a huge flock of Sandhill Cranes that I couldn't see b/c of the clouds for a stream of about 20 min.  Things are moving!

No water in any ponds or Bass Lake, just Trout Lake.  11 A. Pelican, no waterfowl, but pretty quiet and so dry but the skies were incredible.  A slight dusting on Mt. Shasta.

Kate

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 6:26 PM Vince Zauskey <vzau...@gmail.com> wrote:
While walking at Emigrant Lake earlier today at 11:35AM (in FRESH AIR I might add), I heard them first and then looked up to see about 60 Greater White-fronted Geese flyover on their journey south.

Not sure where these birds will find water but we'll hope for the best.

Shannonrio

Sep 19, 2021, 9:58:51 PM9/19/21
to katem...@gmail.com, rv-b...@googlegroups.com
went to klamath refuge today.  on straights drain, the gravel road between township and stateline, we counted 1000 sandhill cranes, easy to see.  also pelicans, gulls, white fronted geese and hawks, yellowlegs, stilts.  there are flooded fields.  also indian tom lake is waterfowl rich and tule lake B has alot of birds.  saw my first red-necked phalarope (immature).  nature rocks!  shannon rio

kate Mckenzie

Sep 19, 2021, 10:53:50 PM9/19/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
Beautiful report, Shannon.

Jo Ann Haun

Sep 19, 2021, 11:17:39 PM9/19/21
to kate Mckenzie, Rogue Valley Birds
Wow, thanks for the reports and for the (mental) images, everyone.