White-tailed Kite update

Karl Schneck

Mar 24, 2021, 5:52:42 PM3/24/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
I've been trying to find a WTKI without any luck in the last year or more... and apparently, nobody else has seen one either... but I'm still trying. My WTKI "source" in the E. Butler Creek area texted me a month or so ago that he saw one, but it was late in the day so no luck, even though I did rush over there (5 minutes from my house). I talked to him again today (on my way back from striking out on the Lawrence's Goldfinch... I did talk to the people on Helman St. 3 houses south of W. Nevada St. who I know and they said they didn't know anyone with the name Fisher in the area) and my WTKI source said he saw one for a few days after he texted me but nothing since then. I ride my bike over there or drive looking for them pretty often, maybe 3 times a week. My source has me on his phone as "Karl Kite" so hopefully that will eventually work out.

Robert Mumby

Mar 25, 2021, 2:18:03 PM3/25/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
I have photos of one from 2007 on the reservoir hill east of Phoenix.  Maybe in 2008 or 2009, we saw one near what is now TwoHawk Winery on N. Phoenix Road; haven't seen one in this area sense.

Robert
Phoenix

Karl Schneck

Mar 26, 2021, 11:10:20 PM3/26/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
The last eBird report of a WTKI that I could find was 11/24/19 by Shannon Rio at the Imperatrice Property. However, there have been at least 2 sightings not on eBird in the E. Valley View Rd. area this year (the most recent being on 3/25/21) and one on 3/15/21 near the weigh station on I-5. So there's some hope.