Riverbanks sector, GP CBC

Romain Cooper

Dec 20, 2020, 2:26:42 PM12/20/20
to ob...@freelists.org, Rogue Valley Birds
Christie & I surveyed the River banks sector (the area where the Applegate River flows into the Rogue) of the Grants Pass (Josephine County) 21st Christmas CBC on 12/19/2020.

Please remember that I'm only commenting on our sector.  As there was not compilation, I have no idea  re: results for most of the count & am only reporting on our sector.

Best birds where:
  • Say's Phoebe at Dinsdale Farm
  • Tree Swallow (7) at Dinsdale Farm
  • Bonaparte's Gull at Copeland Ponds
  • Common Goldeneye (8) at Copeland Ponds
More than we are used to in our sector:
  • Greater White-fronted Goose (29) (Dinsdale Farm)
  • Hooded Merganser (41)
  • Western Bluebird (108)
  • American Pipit (67)
  • Yellow-rumped Warbler (78)    Mostly Audubon's
Very low #s of several common sparrow species:
  • Fox Sparrow (2)
  • Song Sparrow (11)
  • White-crowned Sparrow (10)
  • Golden-crowned Sparrow (34)
The weather was about as pleasant as I can remember (& have been on this count for several decades).  Warm (no frost - high about 58F), calm, dry, mostly sunny.

cheers,    Romain

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523