Wilson's Warbler in Ruch

anneg...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2021, 10:35:26 AM11/10/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
Just this morning, on my way to work, stopped for my regular quick peek...heard a chip, found the bird cheerfully hanging around a maple tree right by the pay station at the lower (Hamilton road) area of Cantrall-Buckley Park. Lovely male. Took me by surprise. I was disappointed not to find the dipper but this was a welcome prize instead.

Happy Birding.

Anne in Ruch...

Jeffrey Tufts

Nov 10, 2021, 11:56:48 AM11/10/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
Amazing week for warblers that apparently missed the last southbound migration bus.  First Vince Z finds a Nashville Warbler in Ashland and now Anne gets a Wilson's Warbler in Ruch.

It's been 18 years since a Wilson's was recorded in Jackson County.  Stewart Janes's field notes column in the Dec. 2003 edition of The Chat reports that Dick Cronberg has a Wilson's Warbler in his yard on Nov. 4 of that year.

Further back in the archives (Jan. 1997 Chat) are two Wilson's Warbler sightings from December 1996.  Alan Frierson reported a bright male along the bike path in Central Point on Christmas Day, and three days later Joe Shelton and Dick Felgenhour had one while participating in the Medford Christmas Count.

eBird records from Josephine County include two late year Wilson's Warbler sightings from Dennis Vroman.  One was from Nov. 6, 2014 on Shetland Drive and the other from Lower River Road Dec. 18, 2000.

frank lospalluto

Nov 10, 2021, 12:04:02 PM11/10/21
to Jeffrey Tufts, Rogue Valley Birds
To add to your list Jeff:
Nate Trimble had a Yellow Warbler in Riverview Park in Ashland Nov 3 and a Black-throated Gray Warbler near Liberty St. in Ashland Nov 5.

good birding ,
frank

Jeffrey Tufts

Nov 10, 2021, 12:37:43 PM11/10/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
Time to charter another migration bus.

Jeffrey Tufts

Nov 10, 2021, 1:41:11 PM11/10/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
And, by the way, both of Nate's warblers were first November records for Jackson County.