Green-winged Teal, Emigrant Lake area

Vince Zauskey

Jan 10, 2021, 8:23:57 PM1/10/21
to rv-b...@googlegroups.com
I drove down the Greensprings Spur Rd and entered the parking lot at the south end of Emigrant Lake in the early PM today, 1/10.  The dog and I walked the trail opposite the parking area that eventually leads to the Hwy. 99/Hwy. 66 intersection.

About 1/4 mile on this trail there are now 3 ponds, shallow and muddy, to the right.  I counted 36 Green-winged Teal on one of them today (Green-winged Teal and other waterfowl used to hangout in this area when the water was much higher during the fall - winter months).

A Northern Harrier flew near the ponds and the Green-wings immediately took off to another of the 3 ponds...maybe just the shape of a raptor made them excited?!  There was a Peregrine Falcon at the other end of the lake earlier this past week.

An immature Snow Goose mixed with Canada Geese is also around the southern part of Emigrant Lake.