Fwd: Subject: Bristle-thighed Curlew???

eulrich44

Oct 27, 2021, 3:29:03 PM10/27/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
Hello, Great Birding Brain!

Whimbrel or bristle-thighed curlew? From 2013 at Agate Lake.

Erin

Oct 27, 2021, 4:36:11 PM10/27/21
to Rogue Valley Birds
This is a very interesting bird, and too bad we're eight years too late to go see it!  I believe is is a juvenile Long-billed Curlew.  They have shorter bills than the adults.  The almost unpatterned face matches Long-billed, but not Bristle-thighed. Also the rump in the walking-away photo appears to be barred, not pale rufous as in Bristle-thighed.  But I certainly see why  Sherry and Jim did a double-take!  Very nice photos.  Long-billed Curlew is unusual in Jackson County, so this is a good record. There are very few records of Bristle-thighed from Oregon, and all of those are from the coast.

Pepper

Dick Ashford

Oct 27, 2021, 4:41:53 PM10/27/21
to eulrich44, Rogue Valley Birds
The lack of an eyeline leads me toward Long-billed Curlew, but the bill is shorter than I would expect. Thinking “horses, not zebras”, I would go with Long-billed Curlew.😁

Cheers,
Dick
Sent from my iPad