Riding Sunday

Michael Herzen

Aug 28, 2020, 10:53:38 PM8/28/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com

Weather: they say the smoke should be much less as wind direction will shift to southerly.  Otherwise, cool and sunny.  Should be reasonable for riding, even without a mask.

When: 9:50am, for 10 am on-time roll-out.

Where: Sand Hill & Lawler Ranch Rds

Route: tbd

Don’t forget (as I did last time!) to bring your mask for coffee/socializing (at a distance)

Don’t know what to say about the CZU Lightning Complex Fire, except that I heard today that the number of personnel fighting the fire increased some 2000, bringing the total to 2108.  I wasn’t sure I heard that right, so replayed it, twice.  Yes, that means that, before today, the grand total fighting this fire, of 83000 acres, was 108.  Any further explanations for why this is still burning seem unnecessary.

And, while the fire captain announced orally that the fire was 27% contained, the crawler below him read 47%.  Go figure.  What I figure: it wont be over anytime soon.

MH

Kathy Picard

Aug 29, 2020, 12:54:31 AM8/29/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com
I’ll be there providing the wind is blowing in the right direction!

Thanks
KP

Barry Finkelstein

Aug 29, 2020, 11:25:52 PM8/29/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com

I’ll probably be there, AQMD pending.  If the numbers are too high I’ll let you know, otherwise I’ll see you at the rendezvous point.

Kathy Picard

Aug 30, 2020, 12:04:05 AM8/30/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barry

Yes definitely need to check air quality in the morning and then we can confirm whether to ride or not.

Sent from my iPhone

Michael Herzen

Aug 30, 2020, 10:34:08 AM8/30/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com

7:30am and all is NOT well.  Cannot see across the bay, due to smoke.  BAAQMD reports unhealthy air.

Regret to say: I am suggesting a cancel for this morning’s ride.

Pls let me know your thoughts.

MH

Kathy Picard

Aug 30, 2020, 10:55:05 AM8/30/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update.
Agree with the cancellation due to poor air quality.  Let’s hope for better conditions next week!!

KP

Sent from my iPhone

Michael Herzen

Aug 30, 2020, 10:58:13 AM8/30/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com

Thx Kathy.  So sorry about this as really need a ride!

And, how do I ever get your mask back to  you??

Tom Gibboney

Aug 30, 2020, 11:11:27 AM8/30/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com
My phone weather shows AQ just over 50. Not sure if it is measuring just around MP. I’m inclined to go with mask of course.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Gibboney

Aug 30, 2020, 11:20:57 AM8/30/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com
Purple air shows AQ just over 100 in West Menlo. Marginal for riding. Not sure where my phone is getting its info.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 30, 2020, at 8:11 AM, Tom Gibboney <tomgi...@gmail.com> wrote:

My phone weather shows AQ just over 50. Not sure if it is measuring just around MP. I’m inclined to go with mask of course.

Barry Finkelstein

Aug 30, 2020, 12:31:01 PM8/30/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com

Confirmed, we’ll try again next week.

Aug 30, 2020, 5:44:47 PM8/30/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com

Tom –

Thanks for the update.  Envious.  I think.  The level of increased health risk thru biking in this smoke is unclear to me – it may very well be negligible.  Just don’t know.

MH