some bad news

1 view

Michael Herzen

Aug 18, 2020, 5:35:13 PM8/18/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com

HI All –

This information comes via Jim Kennedy yesterday: a former Rusty, Stuart Alexander, had a serious bike accident a few days ago.  He was traveling down Woodside Rd from the 280 overpass, turning right onto Alameda, when he was rear-ended.  The result (as it was related to me): among other things a broken hip and some cranial bleeding.  He was taken to Stanford Hospital, and fortunately is being released today.

Don’t know about you, but for me the fear of being struck from the rear never abates.  I suppose this is due to the knowledge that you won’t see it and therefore have no possibility of doing anything about it, in short its unavoidability.  A rear light, bright and attention getting, will help.  Whether Stuart had one, or whether it answered these criteria, no idea.  No matter: please make sure you have one for yourself (and, one for the front as well!).

When (if?) the temp declines below 95, lets hope for some good and safe cycling for everyone.

Best,

MH

tomgi...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2020, 5:47:47 PM8/18/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com
I come around that corner often and now will have eyes glued to the rear view mirror. Any idea if the driver stopped and if he/she was cited.

Tom

Sent by Tom

> On Aug 18, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Michael Herzen <mi...@4herzen.net> wrote:

Michael Herzen

Aug 18, 2020, 7:06:03 PM8/18/20
to rusty-...@googlegroups.com
The driver did stop, but no idea if she was cited.
MH

Kathy Picard

Aug 18, 2020, 8:51:56 PM8/18/20
to 'Kathy Picard' via Rusty Spokes
What a horrible accident! Hope Stuart recovers as quickly as possible.

I don’t believe I have reflectors on the back of my bike and will look into it.
Thanks Mike for sharing the unfortunate news. Keep us posted if you hear any more updates.

Kathy
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rusty-spokes/018901d675b4%2424657400%246d305c00%24%404herzen.net.