Hackathon Discussion

ragini

Nov 24, 2017, 11:59:56 PM11/24/17
to Rust Bangalore Community
Discussion about the hackathon:

9th and 10th december
Rust Hackathon

Things to know:
* not researching the Rust language
* applying Rust language to solving actual problems
* The two day hackathon is a intersection among:
- services
- infra
- metrics

services /\ infra /\ metrics

* Theme: Full Stack monitoring

apps / runtime / operating system / hardaware

Storage / networking / compute ( cloud env )

Why are we targeting monitoring ?

There is no service which you can provide without monitoring.

All services are network based or network facing services.

Tools that people use:

* Riemann - It's gRPC based protocol for streaming events
agent based

* Sensu - flow based monitoring

GOALS:
* Understand monitoring and create tools, libraries and agents for monitoring
* Synergy with powerful dynamically typed languages

Riemann

Clojure -- LISP -- JVM
agents -- Ruby

Sensu

Server - Ruby
core - Ruby
agents - Ruby
frameworks,utils - Ruby

Rust and Ruby integrates very well.

What we can do:
code re-use
performance
re-engineering
create new stuff

I/O
Net
Http
gRPC
HTTP/2
async I/O
Threading
System interface

In Rust we focus on the above modules, traits and crates

Saifi

Nov 25, 2017, 2:53:06 AM11/25/17
to Rust Bangalore Community
Thanks for the quick summary Ragini.

with Rust, we have a powerful tool in our hands and the Hackathon is precisely the kind of opportunity where-in we come together, learn and CREATE !

Monitoring is a pressing requirement of the day and we have a lot of work to do as a FOSS community.

The stuff that really matters at this point in time is
. I/O
. Net
. HTTP
. HTTP/2