Idea: A study group based on exercism.io problems

Chakravarthy Raghunandan

May 24, 2017, 1:22:43 PM5/24/17
to Rust Bangalore Community
Hello everyone,

I feel that there is no better way to learn a new language than by solving problems and looking at creative ways in which others have solved the same problems. So, that had me thinking, why not start a study group focused on solving problems listed in exercism.io. We could create a Rust Bangalore team :)

Also, this would be a neat way to share and get feedback from the community.

Regards,
Raghunandan

ragini

May 25, 2017, 5:34:41 AM5/25/17
to Rust Bangalore Community
@Chakravarthy

What is a study group ? How is it different from our Rust Bangalore Community ?

Chakravarthy Raghunandan

Jun 14, 2017, 7:03:32 AM6/14/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 3:04:41 PM UTC+5:30, ragini wrote:
> @Chakravarthy
>
> What is a study group ? How is it different from our Rust Bangalore Community ?

@Ragini

After having solved a bunch of problems listed in exercism.io, I do not find it very suitable for the goals of Rust Bangalore Community. We can close this thread.
But it is a valuable resource for any new Rust programmer and contains some very interesting problems which can help them improve one's skills.

Saifi

Jun 14, 2017, 7:10:08 AM6/14/17
to Rust Bangalore Community

@Raghu how about you doing the following ?

. review the exercises (all of them)
. map the exercise to the theme for the next three meetups
. during face2face meetup we discus the concepts and problems that can be solved in the time frame
. after that you discuss the problem the community should take up as a build up from the meetup
. reinforce the discussion online on Gitter/IRC/mailing list and we solve the problem.

There are three benefits to this approach

1. the exercises have been aligned with Rust Bangalore community rhythm and meetup
2. the interaction contnues in the intervening 3-4 weeks between two face2face meetups
3. all of us have learnt and solved the exercises you suggested.

What do you think ?

warm regards
Saifi.

Chakravarthy Raghunandan

Jun 15, 2017, 6:28:10 AM6/15/17
to Rust Bangalore Community

@Saifi

That is a really nice approach to solving the problems. But so far, I've only solved 13 of the available 54 exercises. I will map some of the exercises which are relevant to the meetup this saturday and I'll discuss about the same during the face2face meetup (but when exactly is the face2face meeting happening? I presume 15 mins before the meetup starts at 3pm?).

Also, exercism uses the test driven development for solving the problems (which is one of the goals for the coming meetup) and is independent of any text editors/environments and all submissions will be done via exerism CLI client. We can make a team in exercism.io and everyone in the team will be able to view the solutions of others, making collaboration very easy.

Regards,
Raghunandan

Pradeep Chhetri

Jun 15, 2017, 8:02:50 AM6/15/17
to rus...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

+1 for exercism study group. Thank you Raghu for suggesting it. I liked their idea of using TDD instead of some online judge.

Just want to bring up one point -

I think, It will be very difficult to actually map the questions at exercism with the theme of the sessions at meetup. In that case, we can even host it ourselves and populate questions based on the meetup sessions.

Thank you.

--
https://meetup.com/rustox
---

Regards,
Pradeep Chhetri

Saifi

Jun 16, 2017, 1:38:03 PM6/16/17
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017, Chakravarthy Raghunandan wrote:

> @Saifi
>
> That is a really nice approach to solving the
> problems. But so far, I've only solved 13 of the
> available 54 exercises. I will map some of the
> exercises which are relevant to the meetup this
> saturday and I'll discuss about the same during
> the face2face meetup (but when exactly is the
> face2face meeting happening? I presume 15 mins
> before the meetup starts at 3pm?).

Great thoughts Raghu:

The "face2face" discussion happens, when we all meet
tomorrow.

The "theme" gives us a structure that we can use to
focus on salient topics.

At the sametime, we have 4 weeks "gap" intervening
between two face2face meetups.

This is the time, we all discuss stuff over IRC or
mailing list and the code contributions are
maintained in a repo on github.

More than exercism alone, it is the study of the
useful textbooks and source code of the crates /
libraries that will help us understand the stuff
better.

We should target to get to the state by year end,
wherein we can do competitive programming and form
teams to participate in platforms like TopCoder.

What does every one think ?

warm regards
Saifi.