Russian Music Theory IG 2019 Meeting

Chris Segall

Sep 30, 2019, 4:02:07 PM9/30/19
to SMT Russian Music Theory Interest Group
Dear Members,

The Russian Music Theory Interest Group will meet as part of the SMT annual meeting in Columbus, Ohio, on Saturday, November 9, 12:30–2:00 p.m. I would like your input in planning our activities. Last year, we brainstormed several possibilities, ranging from formal to informal, with the consensus that we should attempt to vary the meeting format from year to year.
  • Formal and informal presentations
  • Notable anniversaries
  • Focus on Russian theoretical topics
  • Topics other than harmony
  • Work in progress
  • Russian popular music
  • Invite a music theorist from Russia
  • Roundtable discussion
  • Workshop
  • Group analysis
Other ideas are also welcome. If you have any suggestions or preferences, please respond this week. You can reply to this message from within the Google Group (https://is.gd/SMTrus), or reply via email.

Sincerely,
Chris Segall

Bakulina, Ellen

Sep 30, 2019, 7:19:08 PM9/30/19
to Chris Segall, SMT Russian Music Theory Interest Group
Hello All,

Thanks for the heads-up, Chris! I suggest an informal discussion, which may include an informal presentation(s). One or more of us could bring in something that we recently worked or currently work on--a translation of a Russian article/book chapter, or a piece/excerpt for analysis. Possibly, the "presenter" could circulate their materials in advance, although I expect that reading it in advance might be difficult for the others, since many of us are fairly busy doing many different things at SMT already. So perhaps the "presenters" could create a handout summarizing some central points/concepts/problems, to minimize preparation needs for others. What do people think, and does anyone have anything specific in mind that we could discuss?

As Chris mentioned, we could focus on some non-harmony topic. If needed, I could bring in a partial translation of a form article by Leo Mazel; but I do not insist on it, and would actually prefer if someone else had something, if there is interest.

All best,
-Ellen

Sep 30, 2019, 8:14:45 PM9/30/19
to Chris Segall, SMT Russian Music Theory Interest Group
Hello all,

Ellen, personally I would love to read translation of Leo Mazel on form!

If there is any interest, I could bring in a bit of of my current work with Valentina Kholopova's Expression Parameters (EPs). Philip Ewell wrote an article on it (MTO, 2014), where he introduced the concept and applied it to preludes for solo cello. And I would think that some people are already familiar with this article, which would minimize advance reading. I expand upon both of these analyzing Gubaidulina's Sieben Worte, where I show that the EPs (in this case, harmonic colouring of cello, bayan, and strings) actually guide the overall form, which resists traditional formal analysis. Just a suggestion!

All the best,

​Sasha Drozzina (she/her/hers)
PhD Student in Music Theory
College of Music & Dramatic Arts
Louisiana State University

Sep 30, 2019, 8:35:06 PM9/30/19
to Chris Segall, SMT Russian Music Theory Interest Group
Thank you, Chris,
Looking forward to attending the Russian Theory Interest Group meeting on Saturday November 9th.
With all best wishes,
Maureen

Chris Segall

Oct 18, 2019, 9:44:25 AM10/18/19
to SMT Russian Music Theory Interest Group
Dear SMT-Rus Members,

Thank you for your discussion, both on and off list. Building on your suggestions, here is what I propose for our annual meeting at SMT Columbus.

I invite casual, informal presentations of recent translations and analyses that you have prepared, followed by seminar-style discussion. Presentations should be around 5–10 minutes in length. You are invited to distribute materials in advance, but the presentation should not assume audience familiarity with those materials.

This is an ideal way for both faculty and student members to share what they have been working on. I will reach out to those who have already written to me. If anyone else has a translation or analysis they would like to contribute, please contact me by Friday, October 25. After that date, I will write again to the group with a list of speakers and an agenda for our meeting.

Sincerely,
Chris Segall