Less-studied 20th-century Russian composers

Chris Segall

Jul 20, 2017, 1:05:20 PM7/20/17
to SMT Russian Music Theory Interest Group

Dear Members of the Russian Music Theory Interest Group,

I’m curious to find out how much analytical “coverage” of 20th-century Russian composers there is among active scholars. Obviously, there’s plenty of literature on Scriabin, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, and Shostakovich, but many other composers aren’t represented at all.

As I think about planning future projects, events, special sessions, etc., I’d love to know the following:

Are you, or is someone you know, working on, or interested in working on, analyzing the music of any of the following composers?

Alexander Arutiunian, Boris Chaikovsky, Elena Firsova, Dmitri Kabalevsky, Giya Kancheli, Nikolai Kapustin, Kara Karayev, Tigran Mansurian, Alexander Raskatov, Vadim Salmanov, Rodion Shchedrin, Valentin Silvestrov, Georgy Sviridov, Vladimir Tarnopolski, Galina Ustvolskaya, Mieczyslaw Weinberg (Moisey Vainberg)

…or any other 20th-century Russian composers not represented in the literature.

It would be very useful to have this information. Respond to me directly (sega...@ucmail.uc.edu) or reply to the post. I could share a master list as well, if there is interest.

Best regards,

Chris Segall

Chair, Russian Music Theory IG