AMS/SMT 2018 San Antonio

Chris Segall

Oct 21, 2018, 3:15:43 PM10/21/18
to SMT Russian Music Theory Interest Group

Dear Members of the Russian Music Theory Interest Group,

Our annual meeting will take place at the AMS/SMT 2018 conference in San Antonio on Saturday, November 3, 12:30–2:00 p.m., in Travis AB. Note that you must be registered for the conference in order to attend the meeting.

The meeting will feature informal, seminar-style presentations on interpreting Russian-language music theory texts. The presentations deal with Russian-language theory published throughout the twentieth century. Our aim is to help scholars, particularly those who do not read Russian, interpret analyses and musical examples, so that the perspectives of Russian music theory will be more accessible to a general scholarly readership. The theoretical texts to be discussed deal with a wide range of musical repertoire, not only Russian. We anticipate that the presentations will interest all scholars with an interest in harmonic and modal theory.

We will conclude with a general business meeting for the interest group. Topics to be discussed include: topics for next year’s meeting, chair term lengths and elections, and establishing an interest group website. We welcome discussion and input from all attendees.

Schedule

12:30: Presentations and Discussion

Philip Ewell, Hunter College and CUNY Graduate Center

Ellen Bakulina, University of North Texas

Christopher Segall, University of Cincinnati

1:30: Business Meeting

Please join us for the meeting! We will look forward to seeing you there.

Sincerely,

Christopher Segall

Chair, SMT Russian Music Theory Interest Group