Fwd: Bangalore Marathon

Meghana Sudarshan

Dec 13, 2007, 9:43:29 PM12/13/07
to runnersforli...@googlegroups.com, runnergi...@googlegroups.com

"Prize money for second up to sixth position ranges from 2,250 USD to 600 USD in Men's Section and 1,500 USD to 400 USD in the Women Section. Besides, there would be a bonus cash prize for creating record in the event, he added."

Also, the full marathon is open only to men. Women can register only for the half marathon. http://www.bangaloreinternationalmarathon.in/race_details.html

It is hard to believe that in this day and age, in a place like Bangalore, such discrimation exists and is ALLOWED to exist! The very least one can do is write to the race organiers expressing your dissent and protesting this act of discrimination against women.

The address to write to:

Karnataka Athletic Association
Room No. 2, Gate No. 3, Sree Kanteerava Stadium,
Kasturba Road, Bangalore - 560 001.
Tel :                91 80 22131424
Fax : 91 80 22916335
Mobile : 91 98863 94718

Padma

Sindhu Naik

Dec 13, 2007, 11:22:08 PM12/13/07
to meghs...@gmail.com, runnersforli...@googlegroups.com, runnergi...@googlegroups.com
Dear Meghana,

Thanks for alerting me on this. I have sent it to all the social activists groups that I am part of and asjed them to protest.

Could you please let me know where the excerpt that you have quoted comes from.

...Sindhu

Sindhu Naik

Dec 13, 2007, 11:45:51 PM12/13/07
to meghs...@gmail.com, runnersforli...@googlegroups.com, runnergi...@googlegroups.com
Just spoke to the organizers.
An explanation from them - The prize money is the same for men and women in the  half-marathon category. But the difference is in 'overall' prize money because the full marathon is not open to women.

Why is that so? The organizers say - that they have not opened the full marathon for women because they feel that will not get enough women to run. They themselves admit that this is the first time they are organizing it and they dont even know how many will register!!!

Regards,
Sindhu

sabsinindia

Dec 13, 2007, 11:55:01 PM12/13/07
to runnersforlife-bangalore
Meghana, I agree! We should draft a letter of strong objection and get
it signed by everyone at the Pasta Party tonight. This is sexual
discrimination against women and noone should be allowed to get away
with that unchallenged!

I would also encourage every woman runner in RFL to send a mail
expressing our disgust to the above mentioned address.

India has many very talented women runners and our Ultra will prove
just that.

Happy Running!
Sabine

Chetana Arakankere

Dec 14, 2007, 12:37:54 AM12/14/07
to sabsi...@yahoo.com, runnersforlife-bangalore
my 2 cents....

I think this only be because, they could not get any international women athletes running in the event (though I am suprised any men athlete agreed to run at such short notice... )
It will be bad publicity if only armatures take part in the whole event (or they seem to be thinking)

In mumbai half marathon 2005 they had prizes for the first 20 men and first 12 women (dont remember the exact numbers but i know it differred) and when you see the results sheet its evident, only so many were professional athletes (or whatever you want to call them.. who could do in less than 1.5 hours) in the women's category after the said position the time difference varied a lot

Lets protest by creating and running our races that they will be forced to acknowledge

chetana

Swapnil Saurav

Dec 14, 2007, 7:05:10 AM12/14/07
to meghs...@gmail.com, runnersforli...@googlegroups.com, runnergi...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Even I was thinking why women are not allowed to run Full Marathon. May be some theory goes behind it but still I feel its not fair.

And as for prize money is concerned, its equal for both men and women. Here is the info I got from the official website (http://www.bangaloreinternationalmarathon.in )

Place

Full Marathon

Half Marathon

Men

Men

Women

First

$5000 (196,650 INR)

$2000 ( 78,660 INR)

$2000 ( 78,660 INR)

Second

$2250 (88,492 INR)

$1500 (58,995 INR)

$1500 (58,995 INR)

Third

$1750 (68,827 INR)

$1000 ( 39,330 INR)

$1000 ( 39,330 INR)

Fourth

$1400 ( 55,062 INR)

$750 (29,497.5 INR)

$750 (29,497.5 INR)

Fifth

$1000 ( 39,330 INR)

$600 ( 23,598 INR)

$600 ( 23,598 INR)

Sixth

$600 ( 23,598 INR)

$400 (15,732 INR)

$400 (15,732 INR)

Certificate - For all Participants.

Souvenir Medals - For finishers of Full & Half Marathon

Thanks,
Swapnil