Students

Tarrin Wills

Feb 12, 2011, 2:00:22 AM2/12/11
to run...@googlegroups.com
Dear databasing runologists,

I have a postgraduate runology class with 5 students. I've built into the course a database project which should involve them gathering and entering - or possibly checking and transforming data. If you can think of some things which this bunch of good students, all with some Old Norse, can do to contribute to the content of the database at this stage, let me know. I will be closely supervising them.

I also have an excellent joint computing/history student who's looking to develop a PhD project in the next couple of months. I've suggested various things, but if you can think of a project that would involve helping develop the database and have an appropriate research question/outcome, again, let me know.

Cheers,

Tarrin.

--
Dr Tarrin Wills
School of Language and Literature, University of Aberdeen

Marcus Smith

Feb 27, 2011, 12:37:59 PM2/27/11
to run...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tarrin, all; apologies for the delay in replying.

> I have a postgraduate runology class with 5 students. I've built into the
> course a database project which should involve them gathering and entering -
> or possibly checking and transforming data. If you can think of some things
> which this bunch of good students, all with some Old Norse, can do to
> contribute to the content of the database at this stage, let me know. I will
> be closely supervising them.
>
> I also have an excellent joint computing/history student who's looking to
> develop a PhD project in the next couple of months. I've suggested various
> things, but if you can think of a project that would involve helping develop
> the database and have an appropriate research question/outcome, again, let
> me know.

I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas at this stage. Arguably the
largest and most significant development would be to extract and
recording more information of interest to philologists: lemmatising the
corpus, tying the texts in with Lena Petterson's runordsregister /
runnamnslexikon / Lexikon �ver urnordiska personnamn, etc. However, I
gather from Marco that he may have somebody already lined up to do some
of this quite comprehensively.

best wishes,
Marcus

--
Marcus Smith
Information Officer

The Council for British Archaeology
St.Mary's House
66 Bootham
York
YO30 7BZ
UNITED KINGDOM

Tel: +44 (0)1904 671417
Fax: +44 (0)1904 671384
Direct Line: +44 (0)1904 521233

Email: marcu...@britarch.ac.uk
Web: http://www.britarch.ac.uk/

Company Limited by Guarantee, registered in England 1760254
Registered Charity 287815

Tarrin Wills

Feb 28, 2011, 3:56:31 AM2/28/11
to International Rune Database
> I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas at this stage.  Arguably the
> largest and most significant development would be to extract and
> recording more information of interest to philologists: lemmatising the
> corpus, tying the texts in with Lena Petterson's runordsregister /
> runnamnslexikon / Lexikon ver urnordiska personnamn, etc.  However, I
> gather from Marco that he may have somebody already lined up to do some
> of this quite comprehensively.

Marco is welcome to use the data I have produced from the Nottingham
dictionary project — if this is planned, there is no point in
duplicating efforts. The data I worked on links words from Lena's
runordsregister to both the Samnordisk db's sigla (at least a fairly
recent version) and the Ordbog over det norrøne prosasprog's
headwords. I have been working on non-Swedish material sporadically,
too.

Cheers,

Tarrin.