Rune Runner

aaron seim

Jan 1, 2011, 6:13:47 PM1/1/11
to rune-...@googlegroups.com

Hello my name is Aaron and I will be sending you very simplified suggestions for your exciting new mmorpg Rune Runners from my Vibrant. (Android phone)          1.  Can you make it so that when I am panning the camera vertically with my right thumb, I may also slide my thumb, still pressed to the screen in a horizontal line towards my left hand to allow myself to pan the camera?  (even if only in a eastwardly circular direction)

Dan Samuel

Jan 1, 2011, 7:17:36 PM1/1/11
to rune-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your comments, please keep them coming!

I decided not to do that ('free camera') since it would be limited, as you noted to a single direction (since your
finger had no where to go to the right). For a good free camera you really need to start with your finger in the center
of the screen, and putting multipl controls in the center of the screen wastes valuable screen real estate.

I think my 'plan' (as much as I have one) is once I can depend on all phones having multi-touch, is to add some sort of
button off to the side such that you can hold that button with one finger and then the 'center touch' would be camera
control instead of navigation control.

But following your suggestion... is there a chance that the problem you are trying to address is the "I have to move the
camera a lot (up/down in particular) just to keep the monster in view as I travel up and down hill" ? Because for that
I would like to have some sort of semi-intelligent pan up/down (tricky because it can lead to nausea if not done
properly). But I think I need *something* to handle camera better when going up/down steep hills. Also, if you have
clicked on a target, it would be nice to keep it in frame as well.

Thanks again,

- Dan

aaron seim

Jan 1, 2011, 7:46:59 PM1/1/11
to rune-...@googlegroups.com

Hello again Dan and thank your for such a swift response.    My question is..  Does your targeting system select the closest creature first whether friendly or aggressive?   Reason being, I am experiencing some trouble selecting each tree I've planted.  For example:  I have finished planting the maximum amount of seeds standing at the exact same location and now wish to harvest them..  However,  in trying to reselect the next tree I find myself targetting creature's further away than my garden is.  On top of that I cannot seem to select trees that are underneath harvested or dead ones.   Thanks!

On 1/1/2011 3:13 PM, aaron seim wrote:

> Hello my name is Aaron and I will be sending you very s...

Dan Samuel

Jan 2, 2011, 6:06:38 PM1/2/11
to rune-...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, a dead tree on top of an unharvested one is a bit of a pickle since I have this latent desire to let you select
dead creatures (maybe someday I will let you skin them or something, but other than that sometimes its just nice to see
the level of the creature you just killed) Probably my 'answer' to that for now is: 1) hopefully it's rare, and 2)
hopefully the 'tap enemy life meter to step to next target' would keep you from being killed by a living red monster
underneath a dead one.

However, the 'tap to select next monster' only considers red monsters (and your plant doesn't become red until after you
hit it).

For what its worth, dead things DO de-spawn eventually (faster if you walk far away and return).

In general, I think I would want to discourage planting multiple things in the exact same spot (perhaps I should
formally check for that "Too close to another plant") It's not good for their little roots :-)

On 1/1/2011 4:46 PM, aaron seim wrote:
> Hello again Dan and thank your for such a swift response. My question is.. Does your targeting system select the
> closest creature first whether friendly or aggressive? Reason being, I am experiencing some trouble selecting each
> tree I've planted. For example: I have finished planting the maximum amount of seeds standing at the exact same
> location and now wish to harvest them.. However, in trying to reselect the next tree I find myself targetting
> creature's further away than my garden is. On top of that I cannot seem to select trees that are underneath harvested
> or dead ones. Thanks!

aaron seim

Jan 2, 2011, 6:23:46 PM1/2/11
to rune-...@googlegroups.com

Perhaps you could make it so that players can select dead creatures manually? And that way your auto-selector doesn't need to sift threw the wreckage of the fallen? However, I still believe it might present a problem say if you are tanking multiple baddies because they will keel within short proximity of each other making manual selection difficult.  This message will self destruct in 10 seconds for its growing lack of solutions.

On Jan 2, 2011 5:07 PM, "Dan Samuel" <d...@synthetic-reality.com> wrote:

Hmm, a dead tree on top of an unharvested one is a bit of a pickle since I have this latent desire to let you select dead creatures (maybe someday I will let you skin them or something, but other than that sometimes its just nice to see the level of the creature you just killed)  Probably my 'answer' to that for now is: 1) hopefully it's rare, and 2) hopefully the 'tap enemy life meter to step to next target' would keep you from being killed by a living red monster underneath a dead one.

However, the 'tap to select next monster' only considers red monsters (and your plant doesn't become red until after you hit it).

For what its worth, dead things DO de-spawn eventually (faster if you walk far away and return).

In general, I think I would want to discourage planting multiple things in the exact same spot (perhaps I should formally check for that "Too close to another plant")  It's not good for their little roots :-)

On 1/1/2011 4:46 PM, aaron seim wrote:

> Hello again Dan and thank your for such a swift response.    My question is..  Does your targeti...

>> On Jan 1, 2011 6:18 PM, "Dan Samuel" <d...@synthetic-reality.com <mailto:d...@synthetic-reality.com...

aaron seim

Jan 3, 2011, 12:29:45 PM1/3/11
to rune-...@googlegroups.com

-i have a thought on implementing health and mana potions, stones, vials, etc...  you could make good early on use of gold by purchasing these restorative refreshments from a vending npc near you!..  with that said, you eliminate the healing use of runes, (Gives them room for better purposes) and clears up screen real estate by removing the rune images on the main display.  You could replace thows images with ones of potions, pills, what have you.        -would be nice to see the experience meter segmented into quarters or eighths or something.      -on flying mounts I think you would do wonders to utilize the right virtical camera as a fixed guide to wherever you wish to fly.  This will greatly  increase the gamers enjoyment by giving them a greater sense of control over their mount.  I know that you wouldn't be able to have a birds eye view anymore so maybe you could place a button that toggles a fixed or free camera!..     -on leveling up..  I have found a way to respawn the monsters I have just killed by pressing the map button and arrowing from my location at Diablo base camp to the map of nube island and then simply closing the map.  Boom insta-respawn goodness.     -would be cool if the sorcerer visually blocked with their shield as well..  you could increase range on magical attacks slightly to give a more mage-like feel even though they are still grossly overpowered.  Also my mana bar never depletes x.X hope these suggestions help!

On Jan 2, 2011 5:23 PM, "aaron seim" <ase...@gmail.com> wrote:

Perhaps you could make it so that players can select dead creatures manually? And that way your auto-selector doesn't need to sift threw the wreckage of the fallen? However, I still believe it might present a problem say if you are tanking multiple baddies because they will keel within short proximity of each other making manual selection difficult.  This message will self destruct in 10 seconds for its growing lack of solutions.

> On Jan 2, 2011 5:07 PM, "Dan Samuel" <d...@synthetic-reality.com> wrote:
>

> Hmm, a dead tree on...

aaron seim

Jan 3, 2011, 12:37:20 PM1/3/11
to rune-...@googlegroups.com

Sorry I forgot to mention that the drop rate on runes should be way lower.  The player is gonna wanna work for them and find excitement out of desperation for their diamond rune to weave successfully!