Node Enhancer Icons

Jeremy Vermillion

Apr 7, 2023, 9:45:42 AM4/7/23
to rundeck-discuss
Trying to get the icons section of Node Enhancers to work.
I was able to get the Attribute Match to work to add customer tags. Now I would like to add an icon to those nodes based on those tags. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 094509.jpg

rac...@rundeck.com

Apr 10, 2023, 10:56:18 AM4/10/23
to rundeck-discuss

Hi!

I tested your use case. I'm seeing the Unicode code instead of the Canadian maple leaf. The Canadian maple leaf icon is part of Font Awesome since 5.6, and Rundeck includes the 5.10.2 version. This could be a bug.

Could you open a new issue here, please?

Regards!

Jeremy Vermillion

Apr 10, 2023, 11:08:26 AM4/10/23
to rundeck-discuss
I can't even get the unicode to show. I just see the default node icon. I can open an issue but I want to make sure I have it set up correctly in the first place. Maybe I can see your Node Enhancer settings and compare them?
I'm currently on Rundeck 4.3.1

Thanks!

rac...@rundeck.com

Apr 10, 2023, 11:33:49 AM4/10/23
to rundeck-discuss

Hi,

Let's configure it from scratch:

1. Create a new project and then add a new resources.xml with three nodes. I used the following file to test:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<project>

 <node name="node00" description="NODE 00" tags="canada" hostname="192.168.56.20" osArch="amd64" osFamily="unix" osName="Linux" osVersion="3.10.0-514.el7.x86_64" username="vagrant"/>

 <node name="node01" description="NODE 01" tags="canada" hostname="192.168.56.21" osArch="amd64" osFamily="unix" osName="Linux" osVersion="3.10.0-514.el7.x86_64" username="vagrant"/>

 <node name="node02" description="NODE 02" tags="japan" hostname="192.168.56.22" osArch="amd64" osFamily="unix" osName="Linux" osVersion="3.10.0-514.el7.x86_64" username="vagrant"/>

</project>

As you see, the "tags" attribute contains a country name, node00 and node01 use "canada" and node02 uses "japan".

2. Go to Project Settings > Edit Nodes > Enhancers (tab) > Add a new Enhancer (button) > Select "icon".

3. This is my current enhancement config (I used "fa-circle", it works). Then save the icon Enhancement.

4. Here you can see my testing nodes.

Test following this, probably my Unicode character issue is OS-related.

Regards.

rac...@rundeck.com

Apr 10, 2023, 11:54:45 AM4/10/23
to rundeck-discuss
Checking your Config, probably you need to change "tag" by "tags". That's the usual notation on the resources files.

Regards.

Jeremy Vermillion

Apr 10, 2023, 12:01:16 PM4/10/23
to rundeck-discuss
I was able to get it to work using your configuration above but...

My original scenario is using the Azure Resource Plugin to import our Azure Nodes
I use Enhancers/Attribute Match to add node specific config and the "canada" and "us" tags.(This all works correctly)
I then use Enhancers/Icon to try to add an icon to the nodes based on the tag specified in the previous step.

rac...@rundeck.com

Apr 10, 2023, 12:36:53 PM4/10/23
to rundeck-discuss
Hi,

Is the Enhancers/Attribute Match the first enhancer? (and is the Enhancers/Icon the second one?).

Regards.

Jeremy Vermillion

Apr 10, 2023, 1:56:48 PM4/10/23
to rundeck-discuss
This is how my Enhancers are set up currently.
Screenshot 2023-04-10 135602.jpg

rac...@rundeck.com

Apr 10, 2023, 2:53:54 PM4/10/23
to rundeck-discuss

Hi,

How the "Attribute Matches" and "Attributes to Add" attributes are defined? Here is my example.

1. Use the "Attribute Matches" to find an existing model source attribute, e.g: "tags==canada", this allows you to create a new attribute via "Attributes to add", in my example defined as "region=ontario".

2. Now, the Icon Enhancer can use the new attribute ("region=ontario"). Take a look.

Regards.

Jeremy Vermillion

Apr 11, 2023, 8:55:27 AM4/11/23
to rundeck-discuss
That worked! I was using the "tags to add" section and trying to use those tags. The region=canada worked though!
Unfortunately the maple leaf doesn't work for some reason :(
Thanks for all the help!
Screenshot 2023-04-11 085246.jpg

rac...@rundeck.com

Apr 11, 2023, 9:59:11 AM4/11/23
to rundeck-discuss
Great, at least the pine tree is a good reference :P

Greetings!