Sending email notifications headache

GI D

Nov 9, 2022, 11:40:29 AM11/9/22
to rundeck-discuss
Is there a kind soul who has managed to get Rundeck to send email notifications using office365?   Especially running Rundeck in docker-compose?

I have these settings:

      - RUNDECK_MAIL_SMTP_HOST=smtp.office365.com
      - RUNDECK_MAIL_SMTP_PORT=587
      - RUNDECK_MAIL_SMTP_USERNAME=some_a...@mycompany.com
      - RUNDECK_MAIL_SMTP_PASSWORD=some_password
      - RUNDECK_MAIL_FROM= some_a...@mycompany.com
      - RUNDECK_MAIL_PROPS=[mail.smtp.starttls.enable:true, mail.smtp.port:587, mail.smtp.auth:true, mail.smtp.starttls.required:true]

...and I keep on getting that dreaded:

[2022-11-09T16:28:20,570] ERROR services.NotificationService - Error sending notification email to myad...@mycompany.com for Execution 979: Failed messages: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 451 5.7.3 STARTTLS is required to send mail [LO6P123CA0008.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM]

I have asked this before and I have implemented the suggestions I got, to no avail. However they were not settings that had been proven successful, just the typical settings that one would only expect to work and are listed in the docs.

Thanks for any pointers.

rac...@rundeck.com

Nov 9, 2022, 12:40:27 PM11/9/22
to rundeck-discuss
Hi Bob,

Probably you need to apply this approach (also explained here). Basically, extend the Rundeck image to add that `.groovy` file with the outlook SMTP parameters, you can test the file/config before in a single War-based instance before.

Regards.