Urgent run away processes not timing out crashing server

Aaron Sheppard

Jul 27, 2022, 9:59:06 AM7/27/22
to rundeck-discuss
Hello All,

We have been having this problem for a while now, I have posted threads about it but still no effects or resolution.  It is getting to the point of either ditching RunDeck entirely or coding our own solution to this issue.

We have processes that do not get terminated when they run past their timeout limit, some process for hours beyond the limits set.  The jobs are in a un-finished state for a myriad of reasons (take too much memory, don't close out db connections properly, server updates, expired passwords, etc.); but that should not be a factor, the timeout should kill any job when that time is reached, period .

For the last two days our server shut down at 4:51 am and requires personnel to reboot the server just to get it functional again.

I need a failsafe way to kill jobs that run past their timeout limit.  This is a basic function of any scheduler and should not be this difficult to figure out.  Hours of research into the settings and etc. have not helped.

If you have any way to kill jobs that run past their timeout limit; every single time; regardless, please let us know.

SETUP:
Server: Windows 2016 (8 core / 35 GB ram)

Tomcat: 9.0.55
JAVA_OPTS=-XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xmx1024m -Xms512m

RunDeck
APIVERSION : 40
BUILD : 3.4.10-20220118
BUILDGIT : v3.4.10-0-g01b8e84