running a job that needs local config file(s)

Rob Dewhirst

Nov 4, 2022, 7:34:49 AM11/4/22
to rundeck...@googlegroups.com
If I want to run a CLI tool inside a job and that tool needs a config
file, what is the best way to manage the files?  It looks like jobs run
be default at "/" and I certainly don't want to create files there.

It seems like creating a whole directory structure inside something like
/tmp is very clunky and a lot of work.

I am running Enterprise, using pkg manager installation so everything
runs as the rundeck user with no available filesystem or homedir.

rac...@rundeck.com

Nov 4, 2022, 9:33:12 AM11/4/22
to rundeck-discuss

Hi Rob,

That’s a Debian installation, right? You’re facing this.

In your job, you can declare the environment variables in an inline script to connect to your instance, like:

# basic rdcli env vars
export RD_URL=http://localhost:4440
export RD_USER=user
export RD_PASSWORD=password

# just for testing
rd system info

For Process Automation / Rundeck Enterprise issues, please contact the dedicated support team, they will help you ASAP :-)

Regards!

Rob Dewhirst

Nov 4, 2022, 9:41:54 AM11/4/22
to rundeck...@googlegroups.com

Thanks! Already working with the support team but I thought I would attack this from two fronts.

So I can just set the env var RUNDECK_WORKDIR manually in the script?

Any idea why this issue is listed as reproduced but wontfix?  Seems like a legit issue.

rac...@rundeck.com

Nov 4, 2022, 1:21:22 PM11/4/22
to rundeck-discuss
Hi Rob,

I tried that too, but probably is a problem with the Debian .deb packaging.

I reopened the issue (closed by stale bot) and marked it in the right direction, thanks so much for your feedback.

Regards!