Rundeck Email Notification Plugin

Atchuth Surisetti

Apr 6, 2023, 10:00:27 AM4/6/23
to rundeck-discuss
Hi all,

I have SMTP template to send the email data. But it could not reflect rundeck UI anymore.
However I need have EMAIL plugin to send notifications when a job was failed.
Could you please help me out on this, thank you in advance.

Br,
Atchuth

rac...@rundeck.com

Apr 6, 2023, 10:36:09 AM4/6/23
to rundeck-discuss
Hi Atchuth,

That config isn't reflected on the GUI.

To get it works you need to configure some things on your rundeck-config.properties file and restart the Rundeck service. Let me share an example:

1. Stop the Rundeck service and locate the rundeck-config.properties file (usually at /etc/rundeck path if you have a Debian/Redhat based installation).

2. Add the following lines to configure the SMTP server (more info here):

grails.mail.host=smtp_server_url
grails.mail.port=25
grails.mail.username=username
grails.mail.password=password

3. Then add the following lines to configure the template parameters (more info an customization settings here):

rundeck.mail.template.subject=template
rundeck.mail.template.file=/path/to/your/template.html
rundeck.mail.template.log.formatted=true

4. Save the file and start the Rundeck instance.

5. Now, let's create a test job to see what happens when a job fails, so, create a new job with an invalid command. Also, go to "Notifications" tab and add an "On Failure" > "Send Email" (take a look), then save the job.

6. Run the job and see your SMPT inbox server.

A good place to test your email settings and templates is mailtrap.io, is a SMTP fake server.

Hope it helps!