spi.PropertyFileLoginModule - Exception while starting propertyUserStore: when trying to use multiauth

Tulio Campos

Jun 24, 2022, 2:09:55 PM6/24/22
to rundeck-discuss
https://docs.rundeck.com/docs/administration/security/authentication.html#multiple-authentication-modules

I am following this link and when I try to check using the " --testauth".
I get this error

```
[2022-06-24T14:45:23,710] WARN  spi.PropertyFileLoginModule - Exception while starting propertyUserStore:
java.lang.NumberFormatException: !hex 32
```

my jaas-multiauth.conf looks like this:
```
multiauth {
  com.dtolabs.rundeck.jetty.jaas.JettyCachingLdapLoginModule sufficient
    debug="true"
    contextFactory="com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory"
    providerUrl="ldap://DOMAIN:389"
    bindDn="........."
    bindPassword="PASSWORD"
    authenticationMethod="simple"
    forceBindingLogin="true"
    userBaseDn="OU=.........."
    userRdnAttribute="sAMAccountName"
    userIdAttribute="sAMAccountName"
    userPasswordAttribute="unicodePwd"
    userObjectClass="user"
    roleBaseDn="..........."
    roleNameAttribute="cn"
    roleMemberAttribute="member"
    roleObjectClass="group"
    cacheDurationMillis="300000"
    reportStatistics="true";

  org.eclipse.jetty.jaas.spi.PropertyFileLoginModule required
    debug="true"
    file="/etc/rundeck/realm.properties";
};

realm.properties
```
xuser: plain: TestingPassword123,user,admin,architect,deploy,build
rundeck: MD5: MD5:<a_MD5>,user,admin,architect,deploy,build
```

sysconfig/rundeckd
```
export RUNDECK_WITH_SSL=true
JAAS_CONF=/etc/rundeck/jaas-multiauth.conf
LOGIN_MODULE=multiauth
```

Even if my password is wrong or the user doesn't exist, I get the same error.
I always get this error if the user is not on LDAP.

rac...@rundeck.com

Jun 28, 2022, 1:35:47 PM6/28/22
to rundeck-discuss

Hi Tulio,

Which rundeck version are you using? Can you log in to your instance with the right credentials? If you are using an MD5 crypt password in your realm.properties file please use it in the following way:

admin: MD5:21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3,user,admin

Regards!

Tulio Campos

Jun 28, 2022, 3:56:49 PM6/28/22
to rundeck-discuss
Hm, with your example I finally found my dumb mistake. I was using "MD5: MD5:<hash>" instead of just "MD5:<hash>".