Free workshop: community collections 26 May Oxford

1 view

HurricaneAlly

Apr 29, 2010, 6:20:05 AM4/29/10
to How to run a community collection online
Dear all,

Community collections, (like The Great War Archive http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/gwa
), help to harness the collective resources of a wider community and
spread the costs of creating and contributing to a collection across
the education and public sectors. A community can also be harnessed to
enrich an existing collection with tags or comments (like Galaxy Zoo,
http://www.galaxyzoo.org ). Oxford University would like to invite
those interested in such projects to take part in a free RunCoCo
workshop on 26 May ( http://projects.oucs.ox.ac.uk/runcoco/events/index.html
).

The RunCoCo workshop has a number of purposes:

- This is a chance for managers and others from community collection
projects to share best practice and exchange knowledge.

- This will be an opportunity for projects with some shared interests
to meet face-to-face. The JISC-funded project, RunCoCo, has launched
an online 'community of interest' ( http://groups.google.com/group/runcoco
- follow the link on the right of that Web page to Join This Group)
for those involved in community collection or working to harness a
community to enrich an existing collection with tags or comments. In
the past Oxford has done this successfully for other subjects (like
teaching First World War literature). However, these ventures have a
better chance of working well when participants have met in person.

- RunCoCo will disseminate the processes, CoCoCo open-source software
and results of the Great War Archive, a pilot community collection
project based at Oxford, which ran for 3 months in 2008. We are also
making this material available online on the RunCoCo website so this
will be your chance to help ensure the resources are correctly
focussed on what projects need to run this kind of initiative.

- Be an opportunity to hear from a number of projects such as Citizen
Science, Galaxy Zoo and East London Lives 2012, as well as Dr Andrew
Flinn, UCL and Chris Batt OBE, author of Digitisation, Curation and
Two-Way Engagement. The JISC Strategic Content Alliance will lead a
Q&A surgery on the issues surrounding copyright and IPR.

Places are limited, and a similar event exclusively for Oxford
projects was over-subscribed. So please register your interest
(providing as much information as possible in support of your
application) by completing our form on SurveyMonkey at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/runcoco26may by 1200 on 14 May 2010. We
will confirm your place as soon as possible after that date. We look
forward to welcoming participants from a wide range of education or
public sector projects.

The meeting will be held 10.00am - 5.00pm, at OUCS, 13 Banbury Road,
Oxford OX26NN. Lunch and other refreshments will be provided free-of-
charge. Further details will be available soon at
http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/events/index.html

(RunCoCo will run two further free training workshops during Summer
2010. Venues and dates are to be confirmed, but we anticipate one will
be held in Wales and one in northern England or Scotland).

For further information about the JISC-funded RunCoCo project please
see http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ or email Alun Edwards, Project
Manager at run...@oucs.ox.ac.uk

Alun Edwards
Manager of RunCoCo | Learning Technologies Group | Oxford University
Computing Services | 13 Banbury Road | Oxford OX26NN
E: run...@oucs.ox.ac.uk
W: http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ RunCoCo: how to run a community
collection online

Ylva

Jun 2, 2010, 9:47:57 AM6/2/10
to How to run a community collection online
The workshop page on the RunCoCo website has been updated with links
to resources and presentations used at the event on May 26:
http://projects.oucs.ox.ac.uk/runcoco/events/26May/ . Please contact
the project if you have any questions about the material or if you
need it in a different format.

-- Ylva