Google Groups vs Github Discussions

Andre

Jun 21, 2021, 10:08:29 PM6/21/21
to rules_rust

I was speaking with @mhlopko about whether or not we want to use Google Groups or GitHub Discussions. I understand that since rules_rust is ultimately a Google product that it's up to the Googlers to decide but I find having yet another place to look for information (slack + github) to be more than I can comfortably manage. I enjoy the fact that discussions can generate banners when linked to and from issues and pull requests and it feels like a more natural way to maintain context on things that grow into discussions and easier for discussions to be discoverable back from a given PR. I don't have much experience with it but it seems like it'd help me a lot. Curious about what other maintainers think. Can we give GitHub Discussions a shot?

Marcel Hlopko

Jun 22, 2021, 2:40:59 AM6/22/21
to rules_rust
+1

I have zero attachment to Google Groups, I created it because I wanted to have a place where we can have per topic discussions, where the community can contribute easily, and that is persistent.

The workflow with Google Groups is that you join the group and then you receive all the messages (or summaries). With Discussions you click "watch" repository button and then you receive all messages. You can reply to those messages from email.

If this works for everybody I'm happy to enable discussions and update the README.

David Freese

Jun 22, 2021, 12:26:15 PM6/22/21
to Marcel Hlopko, rules_rust
No strong attachment.  Google groups are simple and provide a history (that I'm pretty sure is indexed by google search when public).  If Github Discussions provide a similar-enough functionality, then there's a benefit from single-source-of-truth.

Andre

Jun 28, 2021, 12:26:00 PM6/28/21
to rules_rust
I do not know how Github Discussions interacts with google search or really how to find out. I'd assume since I can find github issues from a search, that discussions would be no different? But I really don't know. In general though, if I'm looking for a solution to an issue I'm having, I'll search some keywords on the github project before doing broader searches to try and get more focused answers. Using Github discussions would increase the likelihood that I'd find what I'm looking for.... If that helps any...

Marcel Hlopko

Jun 28, 2021, 4:18:32 PM6/28/21
to Andre, rules_rust
Hmm then it must be just me who is constantly trolled by github search. I never find anything.

Anyway, I don't hear strong opposition, so I just enabled discussions on the repo.

Marcel Hlopko | Software Engineer | hlo...@google.com |

Google Germany GmbH | Erika-Mann-Str. 33  | 80636 München | Germany | Geschäftsführer: Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado | Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891