Need someone to build server for binaries.rvm.io

mpapis

Nov 24, 2013, 7:58:44 PM11/24/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I was thinking for some time to build a separate server for community provided  binary rubies (binaries.rvm.io), so far I was able to think off:

  • the server will have 3 areas:
    1. rvm-team - binaries build by the team, accessible for the team only
    2. upload - account where we add public ssh keys for everybody who want to provide new binaries, they can only upload, no messing around
    3. managers - limited group that can move the uploaded binaries to trusted zone after they have been confirmed to be working
  • all those three will be available for adding to rvm, but only the team build ones should be by default added to rvm (for now)
  • we should use signing of binaries with private keys so they can be verified with public part - not sure about the technology pgp
  • we need to provide a framework for security testing of the binaries uploaded by community, but I guess this is secondary objective - we need to get the server running first.

sounds simple? => what I need is skilled system admin (or two) to set it up with security in mind taking the above 3 groups into account.

I did not thought yet about what should be used for information flow about the new binaries, maybe just extending it to this mailing list?

We would also need some simple site on binaries.rvm.io to describe it - possibly the same nanoc that we use for rvm.io.

For the urls to host binaries I would guess something like:

Cheers,
Michal

D. Deryl Downey

Nov 25, 2013, 9:54:35 AM11/25/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
I'm at school so I will respond in about eight to nine hours. We should be able to get something going from there. The vagrant setups should be fairly easy, we just need to figure out how we want to do the deployment with each with regards to access, and build.