Finding out how rvm compiles rubies

Andrew Premdas

Oct 27, 2013, 6:38:33 AM10/27/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com

I'm having some interesting issues having upgraded OSX to mavericks. To investigate further I want to find out how RVM compiles Ruby on Mavericks, and also why it makes the decisions it does.

Some pointers to where I might find this info would be most appreciated

Tx

Andrew

--
------------------------
Andrew Premdas

mpapis

Oct 28, 2013, 2:03:01 AM10/28/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

There is a lot of code responsible for what happens, as for compilation itself it is standard ./configure, make, make install

If you have problems make sure to try "rvm get head", if it does not work check open tickets here: https://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm/issues/

If nothing matches create new one describing your problem.

Michal

Andrew Premdas

Oct 28, 2013, 8:38:14 AM10/28/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
Tx Michal,

It seems that on OSX mavericks you are using GCC4.6 rather than LLVM. I also got a message about a couple of patches (falcon and faster_rails, I think) which weren't being included. I was interested in getting a better understanding of these choices, and perhaps a pointer to where RVM makes such decisions.

On a related issue when I had homebrew's apple-gcc4.2 installed, rvm told me I was forcing it to use that. There are quite alot of blog posts out there saying install apple-gcc4.2, seems to me this advice is now redundant, would like to confirm that

All best

Andrew

mpapis

Nov 24, 2013, 7:33:30 PM11/24/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
please update rvm and try again, there was a lot of changes since your last message,

as for apple-gcc4.2 - I'm intrigued how did you got it working on osx 10.9, I thought it was restricted to 10.7 only and required some stuff from older command line tools - but if you got it working that should be good to go and forcing it to build 1.9.3 or 1.8.7 should be fine, just do not force it for 2.0.0 as it works better with clang