'/usr/local/bin' is not writable

BeeRich33

Dec 2, 2013, 11:40:05 AM12/2/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks.

Just trying to install RVM with Rails.  Got the subject as an error.  It's currently drwxr-xr-x.  Full error:

ERROR: '/usr/local/bin' is not writable - it is required for Homebrew, try 'brew doctor' to fix it!

Requirements installation failed with status: 1.

Brew Doctor won't install either as it's reporting a bug as well:

Error: /usr/local/Library/Homebrew/download_strategy.rb:84: invalid multibyte escape: /^\037\213/

invalid multibyte escape: /^\037\235/

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Phil Dobbin

Dec 2, 2013, 12:06:18 PM12/2/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
Are you prefixing the command with 'sudo'? The directory is not group or
world writeable.

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
Arch Linux, CentOS 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora 19 & 20, OS X

VP

Dec 2, 2013, 12:12:42 PM12/2/13
to Submit RVM
Hi Phil.

I just tried sudo and I got the same thing. So, I switched to the superuser. This is what happened:

rvm 1.24.7 (stable) by Wayne E. Seguin <waynee...@gmail.com>, Michal Papis <mpa...@gmail.com> [https://rvm.io/]

Searching for binary rubies, this might take some time.
No binary rubies available for: osx/10.9/x86_64/ruby-2.0.0-p353.
Continuing with compilation. Please read 'rvm help mount' to get more information on binary rubies.
Checking requirements for osx.
Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
Installing requirements for osx.
Updating system....
Error running 'requirements_osx_brew_update_system ruby-2.0.0-p353',
please read /Users/rich/.rvm/log/1386004132_ruby-2.0.0-p353/update_system.log
Requirements installation failed with status: 1.

Brew won’t update either: refusing to ‘sudo brew'

On Dec 2, 2013, at 12:06 PM, Phil Dobbin <phild...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you prefixing the command with 'sudo'? The directory is not group or
> world writeable.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil...

_____________
Rich in Toronto @ VP

Phil Dobbin

Dec 2, 2013, 2:29:26 PM12/2/13
On 02/12/2013 17:12, VP wrote:

> Hi Phil.
>
> I just tried sudo and I got the same thing. So, I switched to the superuser. This is what happened:
>
> rvm 1.24.7 (stable) by Wayne E. Seguin <waynee...@gmail.com>, Michal Papis <mpa...@gmail.com> [https://rvm.io/]
>
> Searching for binary rubies, this might take some time.
> No binary rubies available for: osx/10.9/x86_64/ruby-2.0.0-p353.
> Continuing with compilation. Please read 'rvm help mount' to get more information on binary rubies.
> Checking requirements for osx.
> Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
> Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
> Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
> Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
> Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
> Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
> Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
> Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
> Cowardly refusing to `sudo brew'
> Installing requirements for osx.
> Updating system....
> Error running 'requirements_osx_brew_update_system ruby-2.0.0-p353',
> please read /Users/rich/.rvm/log/1386004132_ruby-2.0.0-p353/update_system.log
> Requirements installation failed with status: 1.
>
> Brew won�t update either: refusing to �sudo brew'

If brew won't update either it seems to be a problem other than anything
to do with rvm.

Maybe Stack Overflow might be your best bet as to getting an answer.

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
Arch Linux, CentOS 6.5, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora 19 & 20, OS X

VP

Dec 2, 2013, 2:33:56 PM12/2/13
to Submit RVM
I’m focussing on XCode installation which seems to be getting me somewhere.

Thanks for the replies.

On Dec 2, 2013, at 2:29 PM, Phil Dobbin <phild...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If brew won't update either it seems to be a problem other than anything
> to do with rvm.
>
> Maybe Stack Overflow might be your best bet as to getting an answer.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil...

mpapis

Dec 4, 2013, 1:10:40 PM12/4/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
most likelty removing homebrew and installing it again should solve your problem => sudo rm -rf /usr/local/