packaging rvm as an rpm

Yasir Saleem

Nov 14, 2013, 5:23:31 PM11/14/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 What is the best ways to package dvm as an rpm?

In our env most servers don't have access to the internet, we want to package rvm and list of rubies along with it in an rpm and then install on non-net connected server.

Note: I tried taring up the .rvm directory after installing 1.9.3-448, on the app servers (where dev packages are not installed), it is complaining about "libyaml" not present. How can I have rvm include those libs in ~/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p448/lib/ directory?

Can we route rvm to internet using artifactory? - Right now we are using artifactory as our gem server and rpm repo. Can we point rvm to artifactory, for internet needs?

I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Yasir.

mpapis

Nov 15, 2013, 5:19:23 PM11/15/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
you can stick with the tar, what you need is to run "rvm requirements" - it will install all the required packages for your ruby to run

Yasir Saleem

Nov 18, 2013, 11:19:43 AM11/18/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mpapis.
  Thanks for your reply. "rvm requirements" only check the dependencies on the system where you are running the "requirements" command.

For example on my dev machine when I run  "rvm requirements" command, rvm does not install any dependencies. Whereas when I run the "rvm requirements" command on my no-dev server it installs all the dev-tools and libs "gcc-c++, readline-devel, zlib-devel, libyaml-devel, libffi-devel, openssl-devel, autoconf, automake, libtool, bison" on the server. We don't want to install dev tools on the  prod/qa servers. How can we control that? - Also we want to pre-package all run time libs/dependencies rather than discovering them, it there a way to do that?

Thanks,
Yasir

mpapis

Nov 24, 2013, 7:15:07 PM11/24/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
you would need to take care of that by yourself, it is something that would bw automated in RVM 2.0, but it is long way to get there and it needs funding https://www.bountysource.com/fundraisers/489-rvm-2-0