Global Day of Coderetreat - Saturday, November 15th

Jim Hurne

Oct 22, 2014, 5:16:33 AM10/22/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Pittsburgh is participating in the fourth annual Global Day of Coderetreat!

Coderetreat? What's that?

Coderetreat is a day-long, intensive practice event focused on the fundamentals of software development and design.The unique coderetreat format (which eliminates the pressure of 'getting things done' and focuses on practicing basic principles of good design) has proven to be a highly effective (and fun) means of skill improvement.

This isn't your ordinary coderetreat: this is the Global Day of Coderetreat!

For 32 hours on November 15th, coderetreats will be held all over the world as part of the Global Day of Coderetreat. The Global Day of Coderetreat helps to raise awareness of Coderetreat and brings developers together from all over the world. This year, the Global Day of Coderetreat is supporting CoderDojo, a worldwide, volunteer-driven movement of programming clubs for young people.

Last year, 170 cities participated, and we expect close to the same number of cities this year. We have a bunch of special things planned. It is going to be a lot of fun!

Cool! How do I sign up?

There's some stuff you should bring with you

You need to bring a laptop with the development tools you require to write code using your chosen programming languages. We also recommend you come with a version control system like Git installed. You may also bring an extra keyboard and mouse (to make it easier to pair program). Coffee and lunch will be provided. Check out coderetreat.org for further details on what to expect.

Show up and get your money back

This is a free event. Really, it is. But sometimes people sign up and then don't come. That's not nice. So we require a $15.00 deposit. But when you do show up, you get it back in full.

You can also get it back if you send an email to p...@coderetreat.org by Sunday, November 9th and let us know that you are unable to attend.

This coderetreat is sponsored by Code & Supply

Code & Supply organizes tech events and workshops in the Pittsburgh area on a regular basis. Be sure to thank Code & Supply (@codeandsupply) for making this event possible and for helping to keep it free.

I hope to see many of you there!

Jim++

Jim Hurne

Nov 5, 2014, 12:14:53 PM11/5/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com
There are still a few seats left for the Global Day of Coderetreat on November 15th. However, if you plan on attending, you should register soon (registration ends on Sunday).

Jim++