Coderetreat on May 3rd, 2014

Jim Hurne

Apr 10, 2014, 1:57:33 PM4/10/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com

Hey all,

IBM Watson is hosting a coderetreat in Pittsburgh on Saturday, May 3rd!

Coderetreat? What's that?
Coderetreat is a day-long, intensive practice event focused on the fundamentals of software development and design.The unique coderetreat format (which eliminates the pressure of 'getting things done' and focuses on practicing basic principles of good design) has proven to be a highly effective (and fun) means of skill improvement.

Cool! How do I sign up?
You can sign up at http://pghcoderetreat1405.eventbrite.com

There's some stuff you should bring with you
You need to bring a laptop with the development tools you require to write code using your chosen programming languages. We also recommend you come with a version control system like Git installed. You may also bring an extra keyboard and mouse (to make it easier to pair program). Coffee and lunch will be provided. Check out coderetreat.org for further details on what to expect.

Show up and get your money back
This is a free event. Really, it is. But sometimes people sign up and then don't come. That's not nice. So we require a $15.00 deposit. But when you do show up, you get it back in full.

You can also get it back if you send an email to p...@coderetreat.org by Sunday, April 27th and let us know that you are unable to attend.

I hope to see many of you there!

Jim++

Steve Klabnik

Apr 10, 2014, 2:21:25 PM4/10/14
to rubypgh
If you haven't gone to a Coderetreat before, I _highly_ recommend it.

Jim Hurne

Apr 25, 2014, 7:30:19 AM4/25/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com

We still have some space left for the May 3rd coderetreat (see the announcement below).  There is still time to sign up, and we would love to see you there!

As Steve mentioned, if you have never attended a coderetreat before, you should seriously consider attending. It is a great way to improve your coding skills, experiment with new languages, and make connections with some of the best people and companies in the Pittsburgh area (all while having a lot of fun).

Jim++
Message has been deleted

Ed Jones

May 2, 2014, 2:16:42 PM5/2/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com
Andy, an answer in case no one who knows more answers:

If you thought you'd enjoy it, you're probably right.

I've never been to a code retreat, but I've been to plenty of events that were way over my head. They're usually the most fun.

Not that I think this is over your head. Sounds like everyone will be learning new languages, or perhaps you'll find yourself teaching someone even newer to rails about it.

I'm maybe only a hair more experienced with Rails than you, and I always find people at hack nights who really need my non-ninja help.

ed

On 5/2/2014 2:08 PM, Andrew Rihn wrote:
Hi Jim,

I hope this finds you well. I signed up for the coderetreat immediately upon receiving your email about it last month, but I am relatively new to programming and I'm not sure if it makes sense for to join tomorrow or not. I am a web marketing professional with lot's of front-end experience, and I've taken a few ruby on rails courses and am comfortable with the majority of what I've learned. I am good with GIT and the command prompt and I've built several applications, but I'm concerned I may be significantly behind most of the attendees, especially when thinking about the 'pair' coding.

I guess I'm just hoping to see what you think, and by no means do I mind if you think it'd be best for me until I'm a bit more experienced, I'm happy to donate the $15 :)

Let me know your thoughts if you have a chance today.

Thanks!

Andy Rihn

Lauren Voswinkel

May 2, 2014, 2:20:49 PM5/2/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com
You'll be fine! And probably learn a bunch! The code retreat is all about learning and teaching, so, believe me when I say your viewpoint will be just as valuable as anyone else's.

I look forward to seeing you there! :D

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Andrew Rihn <andre...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Jim Hurne <jim....@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted

Jim Hurne

May 2, 2014, 7:56:25 PM5/2/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andy,

I couldn't agree more with Lauren or Ed. Coderetreat is focused on the fundamentals, which means anyone at any skill level can learn and have fun at a coderetreat.

I can also tell you that there are a number other people who are coming tomorrow who are also relatively new to programming. I've received several emails from others that were almost identical to your email!

Personally, I LOVE it when new programmers attend a coderetreat. New programmers don't have a set of old habits or biases that have been built up over the years. I find the perspective new programmers bring to the table to be immensely refreshing and enlightening.

See you tomorrow! It will be fun, I promise.

Jim++