Re: opening at p-g; asking for your help!

Carol Nichols OR Goulding

Nov 18, 2014, 8:39:19 PM11/18/14
to Andrew McGill, rub...@googlegroups.com
Yoooouuu traitor!!! Here I thought this position was you getting to expand your department, not you leaving!!! Pooooo :P In all honesty though, I wish you the best :) And whenever you're ready to not pay an arm and a leg for housing, you know where Pittsburgh is :P

I'm totally up for getting in touch with Mila, I don't think I've met her before. Buuuut I've been having trouble getting speakers to volunteer for pghrb so I don't actually know when the next meeting will be. She can feel free to email the mailing list though at
rub...@googlegroups.com and I'll make sure it gets through moderation. If you haven't gotten her in touch with Justin Reese yet, you should, so he can promote it through his Code and Supply stuffs.

I am going to forward your job description around to a few people who might be interested; I'll forward along any nibbles I get :)

-Carol

PS: traitor :P

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Andrew McGill <arm...@gmail.com> wrote:
*steel city ruby = pghrb. whooops!

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Andrew McGill <arm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Carol!

Good seeing you at Alexander's a few weeks ago. Hope things are smoothing out a bit at work.

So, some changes for me: I've accepted a position leading the graphics staff of the National Journal, a D.C.-based political magazine. Wasn't planning to leave Pittsburgh right now, but the position is a good chance to lead a team in a smaller organization that's pushing boundaries.

With that in mind... I'm trying to track down a replacement. Mila Sanina, our web editor, is leading this effort and is looking to recruit from places other than the typical journalism haunts.

Knowing that you're involved with Steel City Ruby... do you mind if I put you two in touch? She was interested in speaking briefly at one of the meetups, talking a bit about what we're trying to do at the Post-Gazette.

Don't know if you've met her before, but Mila is awesome. She gets it.

Here's a job description I wrote up. (And if you know anyone you think would be interested, please feel free to put 'em in touch with me.)

We're building something special at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: a 21st-century newsroom in the heart of a thriving city that joins a long history of public service journalism with a thirst to redefine the future of news.

To that end, we're hiring a senior newsroom developer to lead a team of coders in building new things for our newsroom, Pittsburgh and beyond. We're looking for a visionary who can take an idea, see the potential and plan the path to get there.

This candidate will build not only the "maps and apps" to complement our daily journalism, but also lead longer-term projects to take news to the next level. We're not looking for a code monkey to wrangle with our CMS.

Technical stuff: Come with extensive front-end experience, including modern Javascript frameworks (jQuery, Angular) and visualization libraries (D3, Leaflet/Google Maps, Mapbox/Tilemill). Some back-end skills are also a must -- languages like Python or PHP and experience with relational (MySQL/PostgreSQL) databases.

Familiarity with collaboration through Git and knowledge of agile development methods a plus.

We're 85-year-old company with modern perks, including competitive salary and benefits. But our biggest plus is our commitment to journalism and our willingness to give employees what they need to succeed. You'll have a big sandbox here, along with the Windows/Mac/Linux desktop of your choice and two monitors. (Note: Sandbox is metaphorical, not literal.)

Carol Nichols OR Goulding

Nov 18, 2014, 9:46:36 PM11/18/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com, Andrew McGill

WELP NOW EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS SINCE I USED THE CC FIELD TO FIND THE ADDRESS AND YINZ ALSO KNOW PGHRB NEEDS SPEAKERS.

Go apply for Andrew's job, people.

This has been your Carol Is An Idiot Moment Of The Day. Thank you and good night.

-Carol

Lauren Voswinkel

Nov 19, 2014, 12:12:58 AM11/19/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com

*hugs*

Lauren Voswinkel

Nov 19, 2014, 12:13:44 AM11/19/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com

Also, I'll totally give my service building talk in the next available slot as long as it's not February. :)

Carol Nichols OR Goulding

Nov 19, 2014, 10:55:42 AM11/19/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com
Lauren - Dec is yours for the taking, I'm creating a meetup event for you-- send me your abstract? How long?

The first thursday in January is new year's day, so I don't think we'll have a meeting then.

-Carol

Lauren Voswinkel

Nov 19, 2014, 11:27:44 AM11/19/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com
30ish minutes.

Abstract:

You've learned about Service Oriented Architecture. You want to use it. You know the benefits to testing speeds, to team velocity, and page load (why do in sequence what can be done in parallel?).

Problem is, you're tearing your hair out trying to figure out how to actually pull those services out of your monorail.

This talk isn't about the overview. This isn't about the metrics to determine what should be pulled out into a service.

This talk isn't even about optimizing the service you pull out. This talk is a step-by-step approach about how to successfully pull that service,

embedded in your app, out so it can be the best little service it can be, and you can get back to that velocity that your managers keep saying "we used to be able to do".

Colin Dean

Nov 20, 2014, 1:42:43 PM11/20/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com
+1 would listen
Colin Dean
http://cad.cx

Carol Nichols OR Goulding

Nov 22, 2014, 11:18:10 AM11/22/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Lauren! I've added it to the meetup :)

If anyone else would like to speak the other 30 min, please let me know!!! <3

-Carol

Carol Nichols OR Goulding

Nov 30, 2014, 3:27:24 PM11/30/14
to rub...@googlegroups.com
David Newbury has volunteered to take the other half of December's meetup and talking on date parsing for cultural institutions in Ruby!! Thank you David!

Abstract:

I’ve got 99 problems, and they’re all dates.

Art Tracks is a project for the Carnegie Museum of Art, tracking the history of ownership for fine art.  As part of this, we’ve had to deal with date problems unlike those of most technology  projects—problems such as dates like “sometime after 1995” and “Possibly the fifteenth century” .

Ruby and the date_time_precision gem  have been an invaluable tool in helping to maintain and manipulate the very specific information contained in these historical records.

-Carol