Plugins thread

Kosmas

Jan 28, 2009, 4:40:25 AM1/28/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
Hi all,

I thought it may be a good idea to start a thread that deals only with
the plugins, so it's easier to find what's done?

There is already one page about the pagination plugin here:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rubyonrails-wiki/t/d1a5d9a30dc469d7

If everyone else agrees, post in this thread when adding pages for
plugins, please?

Kosmas

Feb 3, 2009, 10:01:30 AM2/3/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
Was thinking of adding the ActiveScaffold plugin in the documentation.

Should we create another category in the plugins section 'Scaffolding'
or should that go under Templating?

Kosmas

Feb 6, 2009, 8:41:10 AM2/6/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
Added two new sections in the Plugins.
Scaffolding and Geolocation.

In the scaffolding there is a page for ActiveScaffold, and in the
Geolocation there is a page for GeoKit and YM4R/GM.

Also added the Googlecalendar in the Calendars section.

John Yerhot

Feb 6, 2009, 12:48:31 PM2/6/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
I had started a general plugin page, but it needs a lot of work. :)

http://newwiki.rubyonrails.org/getting-started/rails-plugin

Dan Croak

Feb 7, 2009, 3:26:35 PM2/7/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
I don't know of anyone using DataMapper in their Rails project yet. I
thought that was part of the modularity Rails 3.0 is supposed to
provide. HAML, yes, but I didn't know people were replacing
ActiveRecord.

Are people doing that or should the DataMapper reference be removed
from that page for now?

John Yerhot

Feb 7, 2009, 3:37:07 PM2/7/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
I removed it. I'm sure some people have done it, but I think you're
right.

John

Kosmas

Feb 9, 2009, 6:51:01 AM2/9/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
Added a new section in Plugins called Migrations, and created the page
for the annotate_models plugin.

Kosmas

Feb 10, 2009, 8:00:19 AM2/10/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
Filled out the remaining missing plugin sections, and rearranged them
in alphabetic order.
Haven't used all of them, so if anyone thinks they are not appropriate
or want to add other ones....

Matt Aimonetti

Feb 10, 2009, 12:25:27 PM2/10/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
The DM reference should not have been removed since DM will be a forst class citizen in Rails3.

- Matt

Kosmas

Mar 4, 2009, 9:26:48 AM3/4/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
Reordered the plugins start page.
Also moved the comatose plugin to its own section under CMS, since in
another thread there was the suggestion not to use 'other' as a
category.

On 10 Feb, 17:25, Matt Aimonetti <mattaimone...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The DM reference should not have been removed since DM will be a forst class
> citizen in Rails3.
>
> - Matt

Darren Torpey

Mar 4, 2009, 9:48:47 AM3/4/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I agree that "other" is never a good category to have. I put Comatose there as I figured other people were handling the organization of categories. (this is the kind of thing a discussion page helps with, I suppose)

I think we can make a much better plugin directory at some point, but for now these high-level categories are probably just fine.

-Darren

Kosmas

Mar 4, 2009, 10:07:13 AM3/4/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
That is ok Darren,

I was thinking the same about putting a plugin for which there was not
a category in place, some time ago.
Then somebody suggested that 'other' is not a good idea, as it will
end up with people putting everything there.

I think the idea is that although some people started the categories
section with a few headers, it's up to us all to add new ones, when we
need to :-)

As for the discussion page, we can still use this thread about the
plugins...