wiki traffic

Matt Aimonetti

Mar 11, 2009, 4:03:34 PM3/11/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give you a quick report on the traffic pattern, we
are getting between 5,000 and 8,000 pageviews/day on the wiki.

The 2 most visited pages (excluding the home page) are:

/getting-started/first-rails-app-walkthrough
/rails/pages/Howtos

Unfortunately, we don't have a Howtos page since we are using the home
page for that. Right now, we are redirecting people but I'm thinking
that maybe we should focus on re organizing the home page content now
it that grew pretty significantly.

What do you think?

Anyway, I just wanted to give you some numbers so you see how much
your work is important and valued.

- Matt

Kosmas

Mar 12, 2009, 9:17:08 AM3/12/09
to rubyonrails-wiki
Matt,

It's nice to know about the traffic numbers.
It would be even nicer if that number increases to be 10 times
more ;-)

As for the structure now there is quite a bit of content on them,
maybe we should rearrange them and have only the section links in the
landing page?

So we could have only links for GettingStarted, HowTo, Testing,
plugins, etc.
It would add another level of nesting, but then if people know what
they are looking for they can go straight there(rails/HowTo)?

As a sidenote, what about the sections that noone has added any
content yet?
Should we remove them, until somebody decides to add them later on?
It would look cleaner if the empty sections are not there, in my
opinion.

Darren Torpey

Mar 12, 2009, 12:09:53 PM3/12/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I've been wondering about our overall structural/architectural/navigational concept for the wiki. MediaWiki has categories, and those can help people find stuff -- do we have something similar or better that we can do in DocuWiki?

One advantage, IMO, that wikis can have is that they can provide a few lenses into their content if they are categorized and/or tagged correctly. For example, we could have a "Gems" lens that helps people find all the Gem-related content in the site. Even if pages like that are done manually, if we pick the lenses carefully it could add a lot to the wiki. If people have some knowledge or thoughts about this, perhaps we should start a thread to discuss it.

-Darren