Can I Make TextMate Faster?

Wyatt

Aug 6, 2008, 9:09:41 PM8/6/08
to Ruby on Rails: TextMate
Hi,

There are two features of TextMate that would work for me if they were
faster. I love the idea of pressing Cmd+T as a way to get to a file
quickly by name. When I do that, it takes a long time for the window
to display (2-5 seconds). Is there a way to speed that up? Does that
just mean I have too many files in my project?

The other one is the find in project feature. It seems to take
forever (minutes) to find a simple text string in my files. It really
makes me miss Agent Ransack in Windows! Sometimes I go to Spotlight
and get the results right away, but I find that Spotlight's coverage
is incomplete.

Thanks for your help!
Wyatt

Brett Rogers

Aug 6, 2008, 10:35:17 PM8/6/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
Check out http://henrik.nyh.se/2007/06/grep-in-project-command-for-textmate
for a faster find in project.

-=-
Brett

--
Regards,
Brett A. Rogers

brett.a...@gmail.com
mobile: 361-788-3492

Lawrence Pit

Aug 6, 2008, 10:59:08 PM8/6/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com

Cmd-T works instantaneously for me, and textmates Shift-Cmd-F works fairly fast (usually result within 1 to 3 secs). The grep-in-project command is super slow for me. (textmate vs grep-in-project == 2 secs vs 20 secs). This is in a project with two dozen plugins and vendor/rails, or over 10.000 files.

Just out of curiousity, how many files are in your projects?

find . -print | wc -l

Lawrence

Wyatt Greene

Aug 6, 2008, 11:04:15 PM8/6/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
Wow! That's great! Thanks so much.

Wyatt Greene

Aug 6, 2008, 11:08:22 PM8/6/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
Yes, grep-in-project is still somewhat slow for me, but it seems faster than the default.

I have about 42,000 files, which I guess explains why Cmd+T is so slow!  The total project size is about 246MB, so I guess I need to find the large files or directories and teach TextMate how to skip them.

Nic Williams

Aug 6, 2008, 11:21:48 PM8/6/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
My textmate folder pattern is:

!.*/(\.[^/]*|vendor/rails|doc|rails_root|CVS|log|data_dump|build|_darcs|pkg|_MTN|\{arch\}|blib|.*~\.nib|.*\.(framework|app|pbproj|pbxproj|xcode(proj)?|bundle))$

Importantly - it ignores vendor/rails, doc and log folders. I can always load up textmate explicitly in those folders if I need to search them, but they seem good ones to never appear in a generic textmate project.
--
Dr Nic Williams
Fun with iPhone/Ruby/Rails/Javascript - http://drnicwilliams.com

Wyatt Greene

Aug 6, 2008, 11:36:07 PM8/6/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, Dr. Nic!

Getting rid of 30,000 files (~200MB) also helped.  :)

Nic Williams

Aug 6, 2008, 11:47:03 PM8/6/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
I think the 200Mb of files would have definitely helped! :)

Ken

Aug 7, 2008, 10:56:46 AM8/7/08
to Ruby on Rails: TextMate
Nic,

Thanks for this! Does your pattern go in the "TextMate/Preferences/
Advanced/Folder References/Folder Pattern" text box?

Thanks, Ken

On Aug 6, 8:47 pm, "Nic Williams" <drnicwilli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the 200Mb of files would have definitely helped! :)
>

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Wyatt Greene <green...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Thank you so much, Dr. Nic!
>
> > Getting rid of 30,000 files (~200MB) also helped.  :)

Ken

Aug 7, 2008, 5:04:45 PM8/7/08
to Ruby on Rails: TextMate
Can anyone answer this question?

Thanks, Ken

Michael Breen

Aug 7, 2008, 5:11:10 PM8/7/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
hey Ken. That's where it goes.

Best.
Mike

Wyatt Greene

Aug 7, 2008, 6:40:35 PM8/7/08
to rubyonrail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken!

That's where I put it. I don't know if there is another spot you could put it.

Cheers,
Wyatt

Ken

Aug 8, 2008, 11:15:54 AM8/8/08