Simple question

xsc...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2011, 1:22:10 PM9/30/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I'm just getting started with Rails, and as a simple task I wanted to
rehost my website from bare html/apache to Rails.

What's a typical name for the controller for the main page of the
website? Rails wants to pluralize it be default... Normally I'd name
it after
the table in the database it relates to, but for our web site, with no
database behind it, that just doesn't seem correct.

Thanks,

Per

Walter Lee Davis

Sep 30, 2011, 1:28:09 PM9/30/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Ryan Bates has a Railscast about this, showing you how to go from static file service to files plus database for these sorts of "static" pages.

http://railscasts.com/episodes/117-semi-static-pages

What I have done in the past is to create a PagesController (empty), and then place my static pages in the views/pages folder. They Just Work™ from there. If you fiddle the routing, you can remove the /pages/ segment from the URL, too.

Walter

xsc...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2011, 1:51:57 PM9/30/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Nice tip - thanks. I notice that Ryan uses this in his routes file:

map.with_options :controller => 'info' do |info|
info.about 'about', :action => 'about'
info.contact 'contact', :action => 'contact'
info.privacy 'privacy', :action => 'privacy'
end

Is that still valid in a 3.0/3.1 Rails environment?

-p

Walter Lee Davis

Sep 30, 2011, 1:58:41 PM9/30/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Should be, I just did something following that recipe for my wife's site. It's a combo static/dynamic Rails 3.0.10 site.

Walter

Tim Shaffer

Sep 30, 2011, 1:59:32 PM9/30/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Technically I think it should still work but it's even easier in 3

match 'about', :to => 'info#about', :as => :about
match 'contact', :to => 'info#contact', :as => :contact
match 'privacy', :to => 'info#privacy', :as => :privacy