Re: [Rails] RoR on IDE for Beginner

Colin Law

Feb 28, 2013, 3:03:49 AM2/28/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
On 28 February 2013 03:50, Stewart Alsop <stewart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I use an IDE for beginning with Rails?

In my opinion, no. Others may disagree. At least start with no IDE
in order to understand the underlying commands. Once you have the
basics then you can try IDEs to see if they offer you any advantages.

My standard advice to beginners is to work right through a good
tutorial such as railstutorial.org, which is free to use online. Also
I recommend using Linux (eg Ubuntu) or Mac for development.

Colin

Ryan Cheung

Feb 28, 2013, 3:04:14 AM2/28/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
There's no need to use an IDE to code with Rails. Text Editor such as VIM or Sublime Text 2 would be enough!
--
Best Regards,
Ryan Cheung

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Stewart Alsop <stewart...@gmail.com> wrote:
Should I use an IDE for beginning with Rails?

Pardeep Dhingra

Feb 28, 2013, 5:28:24 AM2/28/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

According to me you should not use any IDE. Instead if you are ubuntu
you can use gedit with its plugins for autocomplete and indentation
etc...

Colin Law

Feb 28, 2013, 5:33:40 AM2/28/13
On 28 February 2013 10:28, Pardeep Dhingra <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> According to me you should not use any IDE. Instead if you are ubuntu
> you can use gedit with its plugins for autocomplete and indentation
> etc...

I like jEdit for the editor, with its excellent project viewer plugin
and code parsing with sidekick.

Colin

Feb 28, 2013, 10:14:10 PM2/28/13
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Colin Law <cla...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 28 February 2013 10:28, Pardeep Dhingra <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> According to me you should not use any IDE. Instead if you are ubuntu
>> you can use gedit with its plugins for autocomplete and indentation
>> etc...
>
> I like jEdit for the editor, with its excellent project viewer plugin
> and code parsing with sidekick.
>
> Colin

Emacs, baby, all the way! :)

Michael Archibald

Feb 28, 2013, 11:00:54 PM2/28/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I've used :
  • Sublime Text 2 - Wonderful editor, still my favorite. Fast, light and great customization.  By default it won't complete your code which is great while learning a language.
  • Rubymine - We use this at work.  It's nice, bit sluggish but it has great code completion and with keybindings you can jump to method definitions really easily.  Great if you want to see what's going on in Rails internals.
  • vim - I am not a power vim user, but if you get to that level this is probably the best editor.  I've never seen more productive developers than those that use this thing.  It's awesome.
  • Geany (linux) - Great little editor that will have a lot of functionality of sublime out of the box if you need something on the cheap.
  • TextWrangler(mac) - Fast and light.  Not nearly as many features as sublime text but wonderful still the same.
  • Aptana - This was alright, slow and not my favorite.
I've used others but those are the ones I can remember.  Honestly the top two are my favorites.

Matthew Witek

Feb 28, 2013, 11:05:49 PM2/28/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You can add sublime packages for almost anything including code completion.

nannasin smith

Mar 6, 2013, 4:17:08 AM3/6/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I've never seen more productive developers than those that use this
thing. It's awesome.
http://www.hqew.net

Matt Jones

Mar 7, 2013, 9:05:32 AM3/7/13

On Wednesday, 6 March 2013 04:17:08 UTC-5, Ruby-Forum.com User wrote:
I've never seen more productive developers than those that use this
thing.  It's awesome.
[SPAMTACULAR SEO URL SNIPPED]

Can somebody ban "nannasin" and delete all the posts by that user? Total SEO spam for some kind of Chinese electronics supply site.

--Matt Jones

Colin Law

Mar 7, 2013, 9:13:29 AM3/7/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You can't delete posts on a mailing list. This is not a forum.

Colin

Rick

Mar 7, 2013, 10:18:35 AM3/7/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest you use as little non-RoR baggage as possible when starting out.  An editor that does auto indent and context color highlighting is nice, if you're already comfortable with it.  Also avoid rvm initially, and git, and any db other than sqlite.  All these items have there own learning curve that will just confuse you - it's hard to discriminate the true source of an error if you have too many poorly understood layers between you and your code.

Make an extra effort to learn on a Mac or Ubuntu system.  Do not use windoze, it's like touching the third rail in the subway or licking the metal pole in the winter.  If you haven't yet gotten comfortable with unix, this is the only complex tool you need to put between yourself and RoR.

The hardest part for me was (and continues to be) debugging.  Particularly difficult are errors that occur during application startup as these are just as likely to come from your run time environment as your code and are not always well described.

Follow the rails tutorial, get comfortable with the architecture by building small projects.  Remeber that many people have run through the tutorial so it's unlikely to include errors.  If it does include errors google "rails tutorial your error message" and you will find a thread.  I think the Dave Thomas book "Programming Ruby" is among my best purchases, my copies are all dogeared from continued use.

I personally use emacs with the rinari package but I've been using emacs since 1980 so the learning curve is not an issue.  It's nice to have an editor that you can carry across platforms.