What version of rails am I running?

1 view

Kedar Mhaswade

Jan 18, 2009, 7:24:49 PM1/18/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to ask a question that appears like the one posed by a n00b.
(Maybe I am going blind, seriously).

I have searched the forum for it, but couldn't find it.

How can I tell which version of rails I am running? Doing "rails -v"
fails. That's another question -- why does it fail -- why can't it tell
me the version string?

-Kedar

Frederick Cheung

Jan 18, 2009, 7:54:27 PM1/18/09

On 19 Jan 2009, at 00:24, Kedar Mhaswade wrote:

> Sorry to ask a question that appears like the one posed by a n00b.
> (Maybe I am going blind, seriously).
>
> I have searched the forum for it, but couldn't find it.
>
> How can I tell which version of rails I am running? Doing "rails -v"
> fails. That's another question -- why does it fail -- why can't it
> tell
> me the version string?

In what way does it fail ?
That aside, rails -v tells you what the latest version of rails on
your computer is, which isn't the same thing as what version your
rails apps are running.
That can be controlled by
- having RAILS_GEM_VERSION set to something in environment.rb
- having rails frozen into vendor/rails

when you run script/console or script/server it should tell you what
version of rails its loading.

Fred

Kedar Mhaswade

Jan 18, 2009, 8:13:42 PM1/18/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Thank you. But I don't think rails -v works. I think I have rails 2.0.2
or something like that (and that's what I am trying to ascertain) but on
my Ubuntu here is what happens:
kedar@kedar-laptop:~/Projects/ror/people$ which rails
/usr/bin/rails
kedar@kedar-laptop:~/Projects/ror/people$ rails -v
getopt: invalid option -- v
Terminating...

Schalk Neethling

Jan 18, 2009, 8:19:24 PM1/18/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi there Kedar,

Try script/about or, alternatively you can do a gem list. If you have
only one version of rails installed gem list will indicate this.

HTH,
Schalk

volume4_schalk.vcf

Jeremy McAnally

Jan 18, 2009, 8:24:04 PM1/18/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Ubuntu puts their own Rails binscript (written in *bash*. ugh!)
in there because apparently they hate you and the whole of the Rails
community for some reason.

Try something like "rails --version". And file a bug with Ubuntu
because they're the ones who maintain their stupid script.

--Jeremy
--
http://jeremymcanally.com/
http://entp.com/

My books:
http://manning.com/mcanally/
http://humblelittlerubybook.com/ (FREE!)

Bobnation

Jan 18, 2009, 8:39:50 PM1/18/09
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
To go one step farther, I would recommend installing RubyGems from
source and then installing Rails through RubyGems. Much better
situation.

On Jan 18, 7:24 pm, "Jeremy McAnally" <jeremymcana...@gmail.com>

Kedar Mhaswade

Jan 18, 2009, 10:20:17 PM1/18/09
Bobnation wrote:
> To go one step farther, I would recommend installing RubyGems from
> source and then installing Rails through RubyGems. Much better
> situation.
>
> On Jan 18, 7:24�pm, "Jeremy McAnally" <jeremymcana...@gmail.com>

Maybe then http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Installation should
prefer RubyGems installation to "apt-get install ruby" (i.e. swap the
order).

Kedar Mhaswade

Jan 19, 2009, 10:00:24 AM1/19/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

I think Ubuntu screws this up further because apparently their rails
script does not identify -d mysql to mean database to use. Instead, it
treats it as a folder, apparently, for example, if I did:
$> rails -d mysql people => this rails is from apt-get
install rails

I get two folders created: "mysql" and "people".

Instead, if I installed RubyGems and did gem update --system and then
used the rails from there, it works better. Unfortunately, this rails
script is located in /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin and the Ubuntu (faulty)
script is in /usr/bin. So, I need to use /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/ before
/usr/bin in my PATH!

I think the community should be aware of this.

Thank you!