IRB help

Oliver David

Jun 21, 2013, 9:12:09 AM6/21/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I'm new to Ruby.  I installed Rails on Windows 8.

When I type mkdir in IRB, I'm getting this.  I tried running the IRB as administrator too, and still get the same result

irb(main):001:0> mkdir lesson2
NameError: undefined local variable or method `lesson2' for main:Object
        from (irb):1
        from C:/RailsInstaller/Ruby1.9.3/bin/irb:12:in `<main>'
irb(main):002:0> cd lesson

Colin Law

Jun 21, 2013, 10:49:39 AM6/21/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Those commands (mkdir and cd) are not supposed to be run in irb (which
is for ruby code), but in a console window. Whether they work in
Windows anyway I do not know. I strongly advise not to use Windows
for developing RoR applications, it is much easier in Linux (Ubuntu
for example) or Mac.

Colin

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/eeef5f0a-4225-4f9b-9ac0-30aafb351ff0%40googlegroups.com.

Oliver David

Jun 21, 2013, 10:56:12 PM6/21/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com, cla...@googlemail.com
I used the cmd prompt Windows and type IRB to start and get that error.

Victor Goff

Jun 21, 2013, 11:22:05 PM6/21/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
IRB is not the command line.  Use the command line to mkdir.

Oliver David

Jun 22, 2013, 3:26:56 AM6/22/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I got it working.  Thanks for helping.