New REPL in version 3.30?

tsugua

Dec 11, 2014, 6:46:08 PM12/11/14
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
During the #inspect 2014 conference Eloy said there would be a new REPL (Reload Epic Production Loop). Any timeline for this feature?

Fang Zhigang

Dec 12, 2014, 2:48:25 AM12/12/14
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't seem like it's in this version...

Brent Wejrowski

Jan 2, 2015, 12:03:05 AM1/2/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I really want to know when this feature will be out. I couldn't find anything on it since that conf video. Would be nice to know when.

tsugua

Jan 2, 2015, 8:20:12 PM1/2/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
Maybe if enough of us comment on this thread Colin will give us an update... :)

Colin T.A. Gray

Jan 3, 2015, 12:36:35 AM1/3/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
Haha you're probably right!

Unfortunately, I have nothing to report at the moment. Eloy and Watson have been focused on maintaining the iOS/OS X compiler while Laurent continues to build and improve the android compiler, and the live code reloading has taken a back seat.

Colin T.A. Gray
Community Manager
HipByte

On Jan 2, 2015, at 6:20 PM, tsugua <sh...@eoslightmedia.com> wrote:

Maybe if enough of us comment on this thread Colin will give us an update... :)

tsugua

Jan 3, 2015, 2:52:10 PM1/3/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Colin, I'm looking forward to the release of this feature!

Brent Wejrowski

Jan 3, 2015, 3:24:59 PM1/3/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
Yeah definitely want to see it! Doing little design tweaks and recompiling is probably the most tedious thing for me right now.

Andy Park

Jan 9, 2015, 7:02:27 AM1/9/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
+1

JJ

Jan 9, 2015, 7:17:03 AM1/9/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
+10^6 ;-)

Hwee-Boon Yar

Jan 10, 2015, 1:00:50 AM1/10/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
If this comes down to a vote, I'm going to say a 100x NO.

While I appreciate a much improved REPL (I think I filed a feature request for it a long time ago), live-coding support, the number 1 feature I would like to have (other than keeping up with new APIs) is stability. The guys have been great at supporting us, but it's clear the focus needs to be keeping things that are working working, fixing those that aren't, and not adding fancy features until things are stable.

Appreciate your work, guys, especially Watson and Eloy who gets to hear from me every few days, but keep your eye on the prize :)

Hwee-Boon

Matthew Nguyen

Jan 14, 2015, 11:22:13 PM1/14/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
I support Hwee-Boon on this one.

RubyMotion should focus on fixing issues/improving documentation rather than adding new features.
Or at least, having a version naming system that enables to have at least one stable release that receives only bug fixes, no new potentially bugged features.

Jay Bostock

Mar 4, 2015, 6:39:21 PM3/4/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
I'm keen to see improvements to the REPL, this (live code reloading) would improve my dev cycle loads... I think.

I just don't want the push to get Android support working properly to delay improvements to the iOS ecosystem. Android support is great, and hopefully brings WAY more users to the RM community, but I'm not using it (at the mo) so I kinda want my needs focussed on as well, is it okay to say that?

Jamon Holmgren

Mar 11, 2015, 7:08:08 PM3/11/15
to rubym...@googlegroups.com
I'd really like to see the live code reloading feature. I'd also +1 Hwee-Boon's comment about stability. That's really important! But live code reloading would make a massive difference too in our workflow.

Jamon