pdf and rcairo

dom

May 3, 2008, 3:44:48 PM5/3/08
to RubyMendicant
Looking at your code, it seems that a lot of your base drawing
primitives are the same or similar to the rcairo packages. If you
make them the "interfaces" the same then any higher order operations
you are they build can be used with either codebase

For a intro to rcairo see http://jp.rubyist.net/magazine/?0019-cairo

Gregory Brown

May 3, 2008, 3:58:38 PM5/3/08
to rubyme...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:44 PM, dom <dsis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at your code, it seems that a lot of your base drawing
> primitives are the same or similar to the rcairo packages. If you
> make them the "interfaces" the same then any higher order operations
> you are they build can be used with either codebase

They're also the same as PDF::Writer or PDF::Wrapper (around cairo) or
any other PDF lib, I'd imagine.

I haven't found myself satisfied with the interfaces to any PDF
libraries available in Ruby, so Prawn will likely be 'different'.
Still, it doesn't mean we won't borrow heavily from other people's
good ideas.

I just want to be sure people know that Prawn will not be attempting
to be API compatible with any existing libraries. Though I've not
figured out exactly how yet, I'm convinced we could do better.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give rcairo a closer look,
-greg