OMR (Optical Mark Recognition)

CayceBalara

Oct 19, 2010, 10:28:22 AM10/19/10
to RubyJax
Hey -

Anyone out there ever worked with OMR (Optical Mark Recognition) aka
Bubble Sheet scanning? Just trying to gather some information about
how to get data in some format from scanner to an app.

tks.
c.

Steven Bristol

Oct 19, 2010, 10:33:24 AM10/19/10
to rub...@googlegroups.com

My favorite OMR library is ActiveRecord.

CayceBalara

Oct 19, 2010, 8:44:44 PM10/19/10
to RubyJax
Um... thanks?

Steven Bristol

Oct 19, 2010, 9:29:50 PM10/19/10
to rub...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM, CayceBalara <cayce...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Um... thanks?

hahahaah anytime

Jim Remsik

Oct 20, 2010, 9:15:15 AM10/20/10
to rub...@googlegroups.com
No experience with OMR on this end. What is your deployment environment? Perhaps you could call out to Unix command-line tools?

kevinalford

Oct 21, 2010, 8:26:08 AM10/21/10
to RubyJax
What hardware/software? Are you trying to control the scanning or just
read in some storage format into a usable database?

Cayce Balara

Oct 21, 2010, 3:45:54 PM10/21/10
to rub...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin -

The school district I am working with purchased a pretty big assessment
solution from a vendor. They are not happy with the product.
Post-implementation they realize that the only thing they really need
the vendor for is creating the bubble sheets for an assessment, and then
getting the data off the sheets post-assessment. If we can work up an
alternative solution this year, they will be able to kick them to the
curb for 2011-2012.

What I need to be able to do after that is take coding data (course,
section, teacher, student) and questions/answers from an app and either
create the bubble-sheets or feed the data to an app that will create the
sheets. Then, post-assessment when the sheets are scanned, I need to
pull the coding and answer data back in and match it up to store the
results.

They have purchased scanners per specs from this vendor - I am not sure
brand/model, but suitable for school-wide/district-wide jobs. Obviously,
we'd like to use those in our solution to reduce costs. The app doesn't
have to talk directly to the scanners, though - scanning will be very
asynchronous depending on school. Some method of just getting the
scanner data into a file that can be read in would suffice.

So - I need some information (generically) on the right direction to
move. I see that Scantron has some utility applications for creating
sheets and then reading the data and outputting ASCII/XML/whatever
files. I'm not yet sure if they can take input from an app for creation,
but that's the first thing I'm investigating.

Appreciate any assistance.
c.