RubyJax July: Seamless Integration Testing

Jon Larkowski

Jul 21, 2010, 10:13:42 AM7/21/10
to RubyJax
Integration testing an application is critical to delivering a quality product. It gives you an opportunity to exercise your entire application with every change made, providing peace of mind that your small model change didn’t destroy any screens. There are many things to consider when designing your suite and I cover some best of breed technologies used by Hashrocket on our client projects.

I walk you through the process of creating specs for some common scenarios found in modern web apps. I explain our methods for organizing your integration tests to create a clean and manageable test suite. I show how to effectively traverse your site with your test suite and what to assert along the way.

I cover the following topics in depth:

* Importance of complete coverage
* Working the features of rspec to your advantage
* Automated browsing technologies
* Stubbing external services
* Uploading and verifying files
* Discovering dead code
* How to use Factories effectively
* Most importantly, the reasoning behind it all
* Common pitfalls and gotchas

Details:

* when: Thursday, July 29th, 7pm
* who: Paul Elliot, developer at Hashrocket, http://hashrocket.com/people/view/paul-elliott/
* where: Hashrocket, 320 1st St. N., Suite 712, Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250 (877) 885-8846
* blog: http://www.rubyjax.com/2010/7/21/rubyjax-july-seamless-integration-testing
* meetup: http://www.meetup.com/rubyjax/calendar/14168140/