Uninstalling DevKit?

Judith

Nov 5, 2011, 5:20:55 PM11/5/11
to RubyInstaller
Where do I find instructions on how to uninstall the latest version of
DevKit (not the legacy one)?

I suspect that it is hindering me from installing the latest build of
the ruby-stemmer gem, which the developer kindly updated for me so
that it would not need compiling. Hence it would not need DevKit, yet
DevKit persistently tries to enhance it. As that is that only gem that
I installed DevKit for, I would feel better if I could uninstall
DevKit for the moment and see if that will allow me to install the gem
now. Besides, anything should come with uninstall instructions.

Jon

Nov 5, 2011, 7:18:50 PM11/5/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com

If you're talking about this binary gem

  http://rubygems.org/gems/ruby-stemmer/versions/0.9.2-x86-mswin32

it's built for "mswin32" Rubies.

The RubyInstaller is "mingw32" so the author really needs to provide an "x86-mingw32" binary gem that's fully compatible with RubyInstaller.

BTW, the reason you can't install this gem from source (and build with the DevKit) like `gem install ruby-stemmer --platform=ruby` is that you're missing the `libstemmer` dependency header/library that the gem needs in order to build from source.

Unfortunately I'm running out the door, but would you try the following and see how it works? Even if it installs it still might fail for you in real-world usage.

gem install ruby-stemmer --platform=mswin32
Fetching: ruby-stemmer-0.9.2-x86-mswin32.gem (100%)
Successfully installed ruby-stemmer-0.9.2-x86-mswin32
1 gem installed

This is really a bit of a hack, but if it doesn't work for you, give us details on your system (where Ruby is installed, run `gem env`, where the DevKit is installed) and one of us should be able to help more.

You don't need to uninstall the DevKit to get around your problems, but if want to try, it's should be as easy as the following two steps:

1) Delete the helper files from the all Ruby's listed in your DevKit's `config.yml`. The two helper files are named `devkit.rb` and `operating_system.rb` and live in locations similar to the two helper files listed

  https://gist.github.com/1268434

2) Delete the entire DevKit installation directory.

I would strongly advise against removing the DevKit given what I've seen so far.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Jon

Judith

Nov 6, 2011, 11:30:07 AM11/6/11
to RubyInstaller
Awesome, this worked! It's really strange because the RubyInstaller
was adamant about using --platform=ruby and the developer of the gem
was equally adamant about using --platform=mingw32, when the solution
was --platform=mswin32.

I'm so happy! Thank you!

Judith

Luis Lavena

Nov 6, 2011, 12:02:39 PM11/6/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com

Seems gem author released a mswin32 version, but RubyInstaller needs mingw32. Both might be the same internally.

Sent from mobile.

Jon

Nov 6, 2011, 12:14:31 PM11/6/11
to RubyInstaller
On Nov 6, 11:30 am, Judith <yutian....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Awesome, this worked! It's really strange because the RubyInstaller
> was adamant about using --platform=ruby and the developer of the gem
> was equally adamant about using --platform=mingw32, when the solution
> was --platform=mswin32.
>
> I'm so happy! Thank you!

Glad it worked, but I'd *really* like to see the author release a
mingw32 version.

I quickly looked it over this morning and he appears soooo close. He
already uses Luis' fantastic `rake-compiler` so it's not going to be
difficult to have both mswin32 and mingw32 flavors. Interestingly, he
also includes the `libstemmer` stuff in his source version.

Jon

Luis Lavena

Nov 6, 2011, 12:58:30 PM11/6/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com

I was chatting with him over GitHub commits:

https://github.com/aurelian/ruby-stemmer/commit/82911f19fa510e5d3277c1c4bbabca6af27a372c

I'm asking now to him to add 'x86-mingw32' to the list of platforms.

Cheers,

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

Jon

Nov 6, 2011, 5:44:17 PM11/6/11
to rubyin...@googlegroups.com
I was chatting with him over GitHub commits:

https://github.com/aurelian/ruby-stemmer/commit/82911f19fa510e5d3277c1c4bbabca6af27a372c

I'm asking now to him to add 'x86-mingw32' to the list of platforms.

:)

C:\Users\Jon\Documents>gem install ruby-stemmer
Fetching: ruby-stemmer-0.9.3-x86-mingw32.gem (100%)
Successfully installed ruby-stemmer-0.9.3-x86-mingw32
1 gem installed

C:\Users\Jon\Documents>ruby -ve "require 'lingua/stemmer'; s = Lingua::Stemmer.new :language => 'en'; puts s.stem 'fantatical'"
ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33569) [i386-mingw32]
fantat